Traditional New Year's Food

In Italy and so in my family, traditionally at midnight 31th December we eat cotechino (or zampone) with lentils and spumante to say cheers and Hello to New Year . I'm not so sure about a typical New Years food even because every Italian Regions has yours, but we usually eat lasagna or cannelloni (with ragù or ricotta and spinach), cotechino with lentils again and panettone..my mom usually prepared panettone homemade but on these last years she is tired and not so in health thus Packaged panettone bought to a traditional milanese patissery..uh very good! Sometimes we also buy Pandoro and I make the mascarpone cream to fill it...honestly I'm not a fan of Pandoro, in fact I eat only mascarpone cream :D

For New Year's Day we always have a roast of some kind: goose, lamb, pork, duck, beef.....but not turkey or ham (coz we've had enough of that over the last week).

New Years Eve we have a mini-tradition of KFC with a bottle of nice bubbly (cremant d'Alsace this year)....there's just something so decadent having junk food (which we don't have very often) combined with a bottle of really nice bubbles lol.

New Years Eve we have a mini-tradition of KFC with a bottle of nice bubbly (cremant d'Alsace this year)....there's just something so decadent having junk food (which we don't have very often) combined with a bottle of really nice bubbles lol.

I like the idea of junk food and good wine Why not? I like Alsace wines but haven't ever had a fizzy. I must try to find one.

In Italy and so in my family, traditionally at midnight 31th December we eat cotechino (or zampone) with lentils and spumante to say cheers and Hello to New Year . I'm not so sure about a typical New Years food even because every Italian Regions has yours, but we usually eat lasagna or cannelloni (with ragù or ricotta and spinach), cotechino with lentils again and panettone..my mom usually prepared panettone homemade but on these last years she is tired and not so in health thus Packaged panettone bought to a traditional milanese patissery..uh very good! Sometimes we also buy Pandoro and I make the mascarpone cream to fill it...honestly I'm not a fan of Pandoro, in fact I eat only mascarpone cream :D
Right, every region in Italy has its tradition. In the Emilia-Romagna region, at midnight 31th december cotechino with lentils, for lunch on January 1st tortellini in broth, lasagne, roast, boiled meat and, of course, Panettone :eek:

Right, every region in Italy has its tradition. In the Emilia-Romagna region, at midnight 31th december cotechino with lentils, for lunch on January 1st tortellini in broth, lasagne, roast, boiled meat and, of course, Panettone :eek:

Happy New Year @Sandra
More or less is like in Lombardia and Panettone is a must..about boiled meat, do you also use to accompanied it with mostarda?

Happy New Year @Sandra
More or less is like in Lombardia and Panettone is a must..about boiled meat, do you also use to accompanied it with mostarda?
Buon anno anche a te @MypinchofItaly!
I'm not vegetarian but I almost never eat meat. However here we accompany it with the green sauce (parsley, eggs, capers, garlic).

Buon anno anche a te @MypinchofItaly!
I'm not vegetarian but I almost never eat meat. However here we accompany it with the green sauce (parsley, eggs, capers, garlic).

Oh ok..I often make green sauce (not for Xmas), it's a Piemontese recipe. We like and eat Mostarda di Cremona with boiled meat or also roasted meat.

Back
Top Bottom