Traditional New Year's Food

..... and Panettone is a must.....
Definitely - I have some in the cupboard. I've finished the stollen already, and most of the Christmas cake has now gone.

I usually buy six different types of meat, three for Christmas dinner, and the other three for New Year's Day. This year, however, I have broken with tradition, and only had duck and gammon for Christmas dinner, although I did have some turkey while at my daughter's house. The other meats can stay in the freezer for a bit longer.....

Some of my family celebrate Christmas on 7th January and there is at least one who celebrates New Year in September, so I have plenty of options :okay:

Last edited:
Definitely - I have some in the cupboard.

I usually buy six different types of meat, three for Christmas dinner, and the other three for New Year's Day. This year, however, I have broken with tradition, and only had duck and gammon for Christmas dinner, although I did have some turkey while at my daughter's house. The other meats can stay in the freezer for a bit longer.....

Some of my family celebrate Christmas on 7th January and one celebrates New Year in September, so I have plenty of options :okay:

Panettone for breakfast with hot milk or hot tea...mmmm!
I put in the freezer lot of meat too..and it's time for capon to take a ride in the oven...completely forgotten it.
I'm curious about celebrations on 7th January and September....

Panettone for breakfast with hot milk or hot tea...mmmm!
Must be tea, or hot chocolate :D
I'm curious about celebrations on 7th January and September....
7th January is the Orthodox Christmas, and 11th or 12th September (depending on the year) is the Ethiopian New Year. My extended family is rather complicated......:giggle:

@MypinchofItaly

Capon ! Wow .. What a truly lovely traditional classic ..

Do you stuff your´s ?

Completely forgotten in the freezer....yep I stuff it usually with rice, boiled chestnuts, bacon and aromatic herbs...and if I have pork lard, I also put into capon...a bomb!

In the kitchen preparing dinner. We both had egg for breakfast with a shot of Irish Cream in the coffee. Great way to start the day. More finger food for lunch and nibbles - oysters, beef tenderloin, cheese, grapes and G's spinach dip. Mimosas. Champagne with orange juice. More alcohol today than last night.

Happy New Year everyone!

Wishing you health, wealth and happiness for 2018.

As has been said above, we don't seem to have anything specifically traditional at New Year in the UK.

We went to our son and daughter in law on New Year's Eve. She is Dutch so they made us Oliebollen which are fried doughnuts traditionally served in The Netherlands on New Year's Eve.

Since last year, they have bought a deep fat fryer just for this occasion,which was used in the garage to avoid the smell in the house. Apparently that is what they do in The Netherlands too, though they also stand around outside as well, to watch the fireworks.

We drank a toast at midnight with something cold and bubbly :happy:

IMG_20171231_220949249.jpg

Happy New Year everyone!

Wishing you health, wealth and happiness for 2018.

As has been said above, we don't seem to have anything specifically traditional at New Year in the UK.

We went to our son and daughter in law on New Year's Eve. She is Dutch so they made us Oliebollen which are fried doughnuts traditionally served in The Netherlands on New Year's Eve.

Since last year, they have bought a deep fat fryer just for this occasion,which was used in the garage to avoid the smell in the house. Apparently that is what they do in The Netherlands too, though they also stand around outside as well, to watch the fireworks.

We drank a toast at midnight with something cold and bubbly :happy:

View attachment 12630

They look scrummy..and they are similar to Apulian Pettole, fried dough both salty and sweet.

Greek and also Eastern Orthodox. Although most Greeks now celebrate Christmas on 25th December, not all do.

It's the same with the Coptic Church in East Africa. In my first year in Eritrea, we didn't know until late in the evening on 24th December if we would be getting the next day off work. We did, but the main celebration was 6th January, so we actually got two Christmas Days. There is also a holiday for Epiphany.

As a rider to the above, you'd only get your day off if it was a working day. If a holiday fell on a Sunday, that was tough luck. I worked Monday to Saturday, but luckily Christmas Day never fell on a Sunday when I was there. Unlike in the UK, you didn't get holidays carried over if they came on non-working days.

Back
Top Bottom