Tuna Catnip Kitty Treats

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
1:53 PM
I want to make these Tuna Catnip Kitty Treats. I need to pick up a few of the ingredients first. Although the kitties don't seem to mind the aged catnip I have here at the house for playing, I'd rather give them something fresher if it's going to actually be eaten. I've tried making cat treats on a few occasions, but the felines in this household weren't exactly thrilled with the outcome. I think they didn't like the cheese I used. Can you say finicky felines? They won't turn their cute little noses up at tuna, though, especially in combination with catnip, so hopefully I can make these soon. If not now, then at least for the holidays, because every kitty deserves some yummy homemade treats in their Christmas stocking.

Here's the recipe, but I urge you to visit the site itself, so you can see her nice pictures both of the recipe, and also her kitty.

Tuna Catnip Kitty Treats

1 (5 ounce) can tuna, no salt added and packed in water, drained

1 cup oat flour*

1 large egg

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 heaping tablespoon dried catnip

*It’s easy to make your own oat flour. Simply grind old-fashioned oats in a spice grinder (or a super clean coffee grinder) until it is transformed into a light powder. There you have it — oat flour!

Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, combine drained tuna, oat flour, egg, olive oil and catnip. Blend until mixture is smooth. It will be thick but pliable and not terribly sticky.

Roll dough into 1/2 teaspoon balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Use a skewer to press an X-shape into each cookie ball.

Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until they are dried on top and slightly browned. Allow to cool completely before offering to your kitty.

Place treats in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to seven days.

Attachments

• cat tuna catnip kitty treats.jpg
    cat tuna catnip kitty treats.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
I must try this. I never seen this post before and just coming across it now. There is no doubt that my kitties would really enjoy this. Maybe I will make it as a Christmas treat for them.

Wow, my cat is insane for cat treats, so I think he would really enjoy these. It is so much easier to pick them up at the store though for a little pouch at for a dollar. Maybe if I get in the mood, I would make these. Like LB says they might make a nice Christmas offering.

Sound great but as out cat is almost circular [and will probably get even more so at Christmas ] we may have to give them a miss

Sound great but as out cat is almost circular [and will probably get even more so at Christmas ] we may have to give them a miss

Our cat is quite the same right now...he sure loves his food and just seems to be getting more and more plump. We don't even really give him treats too often but he seems to be chunking the weight on. I think our cat would love these but I think it's a treat-free-zone at our house for a while!

Back
Top Bottom