Tuna Steak

Local time
3:07 AM
So, anyone else just LOVE their tuna steaks? I can't get proper fresh tuna from here but the frozen ones work well too. Just take it out of the freezer and into the fridge in the evening and the next day it's ready for cooking.

I dry them well with paper, rub some salt and lime pepper on both sides and then fry them quickly on a very hot pan with some butter on it. A salad on the side and a slice of lemon on the fish and you are good to go. Simple, fast, delicious.

How do you like to prepare your tuna steak?

Tuna is super expensive here (as they are everywhere, I'd imagine) so we very rarely get them. I usually just eat mine raw sashimi style. I've tried multiple times to sear it but I've never gotten it right. Pan's always either too hot or not hot enough:tired:

I haven't had tuna steaks in a while, the don't sell them affordably around here where we live now. But when I used to buy them I would rub them with salt and pepper, then rub them in olive oil, then press them into sesame seeds on both sides, then pan sear them.

I don't know it's terribly expensive here. A trip to the fish market a mile or so away should land me some nice steaks on a good day. I season with my salt and pepper as well as some fresh herbs and mostly pan sear and serve with a salad. On the odd occasion, I'll fry a few pieces. I often ask if the tuna is soft and almost always hear it is. Still I've had a few tough steaks over the years.

its got to be mega fresh,i keep the fish plain to let the quality do the talking,I think all good fresh fish comes with a premium,as a lot of it is wild and takes a lot to catch it land it etc,i like a simple Caesar salad, or stir fry veg and fresh noodles,with it

It's costly but it's worth it if you get it at the right time from the right place. I usually am swimming in it (Ha!) in the spring & summer seasons where I am & I utilize that to the fullest. I prefer a tuna steak to a beef steak most days a year.

Those who find tuna expensive try having a look at the frozen foods section at your local supermarket. I too was under the assumption that tuna would be ridiculously expensive... and fresh tuna probably would be if I could find it here. But frozen tuna steaks are just as affordable as most other meat... at least over here. A pack of 2 frozen steaks goes for 6 euros, so for example tuna steak with salad will end up costing less than 10 euros to prepare for 2 people.

Take a look, you might be able to get it for cheaper than you think!

I have to have my tuna (or any fish) super fresh, as in not previously frozen. There is a huge difference in the taste and texture. I recently had to purchase some previously frozen cod fish to supplement some fresh cod I had purchased, and the difference in color and texture was amazingly different. I live near the ocean, so there is never an excuse for me not to have seafood that did not come off the boat that day. I have never tried making tuna steaks at home because they are very expensive and I would not want to mess up and waste the meat. I only have them from restaurants.

I enjoy cooking tuna steaks as well, mainly because they maintain their firmness even after being frozen and thawed, unlike some other fish such as cod, which turns all soft and mushy after being thawed and cooked. The only thing you need to be careful with is to not over-cook the tuna as it can become very dry very easily. One of my favorite ways to prepare it is to baste it with some garlic infused olive oil, then season lightly with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, and grill or broil it - leaving it still pink in the middle. Then I top it with some warmed plum sauce.

I've been meaning to try and make some of my own "canned tuna" from fresh tuna - perhaps simply poaching or steaming it, then flaking it into some extra virgin olive oil with a little sea salt - and see how that comes out to use on sandwiches and such, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

The preperation of tuna steaks is important to note as well. I get really grossed out when people pan sear the edges of the steak and leave it red and raw in the middle. I am one of those that is very concerned about food safety and my food must be "done" before I will eat it.

OhioTom76- My dad recently brought home some fresh canned tuna from a guy at work and it was the best canned tuna I have ever had. They pack it into a jar and then do a high power steam on it and it cooks it right in the jar. You have to be careful doing this, as with all canned meats, so that you do not get botchlism.

Back
Top Bottom