TV - how much do you watch and how many TVs do you have?

Toffeeapple

Über Member
Local time
3:42 PM
Mod. Edit - this post and following few posts have been moved to start a new topic

I don't have TV so I don't have to learn all the new tech that goes with them. My radios are controlled by turnable switches - I can cope with those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have TV so I don't have to learn all the new tech that goes with them. My radios are controlled by turnable switches - I can cope with those.

No TV! You are not the only member here who has no TV. Our site owner @SatNavSaysStraightOn doesn't have one either. I can't begin to imagine life without one. Although, having said that I could always watch things on my computer I suppose. I watch mainly cookery programmes - from which I learn a lot and get many creative ideas. Otherwise I tend to watch documentaries and the news. Occasionally I follow a drama or watch soaps - simply to switch off and relax.

No TV! You are not the only member here who has no TV. Our site owner @SatNavSaysStraightOn doesn't have one either. I can't begin to imagine life without one. Although, having said that I could always watch things on my computer I suppose. I watch mainly cookery programmes - from which I learn a lot and get many creative ideas. Otherwise I tend to watch documentaries and the news. Occasionally I follow a drama or watch soaps - simply to switch off and relax.

I once mentioned to a co!league that we have freeview because we don't watch much tv, she looked at me utterly confused and asked 'so, what do you do at night?', odd question but our lives aren't ruled by the tv, 1 colleague can't survive without football watching or talking about :facepalm:

No TV?

HEATHENS!

:thumbsdown:

We have 5. Two of them are in the living rooms, 2 are in bedrooms, and one is in the basement near the gym equipment.

5 tv’s here, also. Although, We don’t have cable access, so it is either Netflix, Amazon Prime or the HDMI... GF watches way more than me. I’m either in the kitchen or up in my drum room. I sometimes turn it on before bed to help me fall asleep.

I would love to have the stength to cut the cord on cable TV. Even for a month. The cable and phone bill are very high.

But, then, I'd miss all my Real Housewives of... shows. :wink:
You can't make this stuff up. Haha

Last edited:
Around here they bundle the sevices so you don’t save much by cutting cable. We changed companys and figured out a way so we dropped cable. I lived for 20 years without tv while raising my kids in Rural Ontario. I didn’t miss it one bit. There are many things to do to occupy ones time....

No TV?

HEATHENS!

:thumbsdown:

We have 5. Two of them are in the living rooms, 2 are in bedrooms, and one is in the basement near the gym equipment.

I used to have 4 until a few weeks ago - 2 downstairs in living room and dining room, 2 upstairs (one in daughter's bedroom, one in son's bedroom). But as they have both now moved out :woot: I've downsized the Virgin 'bundle' to just the two downstairs. Oddly, its not a lot cheaper.

The bundling thing is interesting. We have what's called Triple Play; cable TV, internet, and a land line phone bundled together.

We haven't used the land line in over 2 years (I don't even remember the number), so I recently looked into dropping it. The cost for my package (the 5 TV drops, 2 with DVRs, and internet access) would actually go up.

That makes no sense.

I like TV and I cannot lie. Lol Mostly cable shows rather than main
stream tv… like classic movies, ancient aliens on the history channel, the real housewives, reelz TV (Serial killers, celebrity autopsies}, old b/w TV shows. Oh, and the News… Too many to name.

Last edited:
No TV here. Not had one for many years. We do get Netflix during the winter. Our 'rule' is to subscribe when we are on GMT, though once BST has started we have usually got bored / seen what we wanted and already cancelled our subscription.

At present only one. It is the smaller version of the one sitting behind it. That one needs a shop visit. We have our internet and cable bundled. I like watching cooking shows, not cooking competitions, unless it is BBQ related. Movies are a mainstay as well as some series. I watch a lot of History Channel and Natgeo. I occasionally watch college and pro American football. I never watch basketball or baseball, way too boring.

No TV here. Not had one for many years. We do get Netflix during the winter. Our 'rule' is to subscribe when we are on GMT, though once BST has started we have usually got bored / seen what we wanted and already cancelled our subscription.

That's the third active member here with no TV! I think that is rather unusual statistically. What are you watching Netfix on if no TV?

The bundling thing is interesting. We have what's called Triple Play; cable TV, internet, and a land line phone bundled together.

We haven't used the land line in over 2 years (I don't even remember the number), so I recently looked into dropping it. The cost for my package (the 5 TV drops, 2 with DVRs, and internet access) would actually go up.

That makes no sense.

Are you under contract? If not, wait until they are running a good promotion and then tell them you are going to drop them and go to satellite or DSL because they won't give you the same deal they'll give new customers. I did that and we even got a $100 gift card though I ended up having to fight for that. I had made a copy of the offer because I figured they'd try and wiggle out of part of the deal so, when the card didn't come after 90 days, called them up and asked them why. Well it's not part of your promotion. I said oh yes it was and I kept a copy of what was being offered because I knew this would happen. Would you like me to send it to you. Then it was "well your rep didn't write that down." My response was I don't care, not my fault your rep didn't do his job correctly. The $100 was part of the promotion and I want it. Card came within a week/10 days.

We did have to go into 1 of the Comcast offices to get the deal as the phone reps wouldn't budge. Just make sure you know exactly what the deal includes because our rep also tried to tell us it didn't include HD TV so we'd have to pay extra for that, but the deal did and I pointed that out to him. Not sure whether he was just inept or what...

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll have to look to see if tbey have promo deals.

My cable company is really small, but it's got the local monopoly, so it's either them - which includes decent internet speeds, or dish and a seperate internet provider which has terrible reviews.

Their promo deal when I signed up was just a small discout on premium channels, and only for 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom