TV - how much do you watch and how many TVs do you have?

I went two years without a telly and didn't really miss it. In fact, I found listening to the radio most enjoyable.

We have a solitary television now, but rarely watch it during the week. It's a small one, too. I'd feel overwhelmed by one of those massive things.

Mostly, we watch BBC documentaries and could probably make do with BBC4 and nothing else. Since BT gave us BT Sport for nothing, we said, "Oh, all right, then," so we get to enjoy some German and French footy at weekends. Shame they lost the Italian football, but such is life.

We have 2 TVs in the house that are still used as TVs: my son uses one as a monitor for his computer. My daughter also has a TV in her room, but she never watches it (her phone is all she needs).

I watch movies and certain select TV shows with my wife...it's really our chance to spend time together at the end of the work day.

And, I am a sports fan, so the TV would be is use almost every day anyway (depending on how much the local teams depress me with how bad they are).

It's funny, though. My brother doesn't have a TV. He's a newsreader for NPR (National Public Radio), so this isn't a surprise. But, whenever he comes over, he seems to be transfixed by the Magic Box, like he's visiting from a culture that doesn't know what televisions are. :laugh:

I found listening to the radio most enjoyable.

My brother doesn't have a TV. He's a newsreader for NPR (National Public Radio), so this isn't a surprise.

I love radio - if I had to choose between regular limited channels TV and radio, then radio would probably win. Radio 4 for preference. But I do so love to watch food programmes. There are a few on Radio 4 (notably Kitchen Cabinet which is excellent and very witty) but radio can't compete when it comes to demonstrating recipes. I also like to see the news but I also listen to Radio programmes such as 'From our own correspondent' which is often excellent.

LG TV_.jpg

I just bought this giant LG 50"-screen TV over the weekend to replace an existing small screen TV in the bedroom!! Waiting for the stand to mount it on, to come.

I have 4 TV's. one is a broken analog which used to work. This new one will replace 3 of them.

Last edited:
I went two years without a telly and didn't really miss it. In fact, I found listening to the radio most enjoyable.

We have a solitary television now, but rarely watch it during the week. It's a small one, too. I'd feel overwhelmed by one of those massive things..

You should see some of the TVs we install and maintain at work. 90 and 100 inches is becoming fairly common. And they're as thin as a deck of cards, and surprisingly lightweight. You have to be so careful with something that big and thin.

I have a 65 inch in the main living room, but I'm looking to go up to a 75. It wouldn't actually look that big stuck off in the corner of the room. The 65 looks a little small.

As far as radio goes, I still enjoy listening to hockey games on the radio. It's an old habit from when I was a kid. I'd hide my "transistor" radio with a mono earbud under the pillow of my bed so I could listen to games after bedtime.
My sisters would often rat me out to our parents if the earbud pulled out of the socket accidentally and they could hear the radio from their rooms.

I remember one time when I was a teenager and I had a job as a pizza delivery guy. I was listening to the Cup finals on the radio in the delivery truck. The final game was in overtime, so as I pulled in front of one house to deliver their pizzas, I couldn't tear myself away from the radio for about 10 or 15 minutes. The people in the house kept looking out their windows wondering what the heck I was doing.

I almost got fired when I got back to the shop for delivering cold pizzas, lol.

Last edited:
I have a 65 inch in the main living room, but I'm looking to go up to a 75. It wouldn't actually look that big stuck off in the corner of the room. The 65 looks a little small.

It depends how big the room in question is. I simply couldn't fit that in here....much as I'd like to!

Love your story about listening to hockey games. I used to listen to the horse racing on radio as a teen (in similar manner) and make imaginary bets.

Last edited:
I could not sit in the house with no TV to watch! I'd go nuts!!!! :headshake:

You would survive I think. You would find creative outlets you probably don't even know you have. But, you know, I reckon I'd miss the internet far more than the TV. I'd be sunk without the internet!

Two. One in the bedroom and a new one in the lounge. Satellite connections to both (Thai free to air TV is crap). Just short of £50.00 p.m. The only time I watch the lounge TV is when Formula 1 racing is transmitted. The bedroom TV is for watching in bed (surprisingly). In the daytime I watch films or old TV series that I've downloaded (on the laptop).

I'll have to go on a tour of my house to see, when building upstairs 25 ? Years ago I had cable put in every room except laundry and toilets.
2 upstairs
4 downstairs
1 in garage.
Thinking a bout putting one in the downstairs toilet for the racing channel.?

Talking of tvs, I have a cheeky thing I like to do. I have the peel app on my phone. I like going into a pub and sitting down with a beer , then using the app turn a few of the pubs tvs off.
It's very funny .........but not the people that have to work out what's going wrong.lol.

Russ

And I quite often have tvs on but wouldn't have a clue what's on. Normally a racing channel. I just like noise in the background. Might be because we never had tv until I was about 10?

Russ

3 working tvs...living room, bedroom and kitchen has a small one...i have a couple nonworking that are the big fat back one but they are so heavy i haven't figured how to move them out of the house

.i have a couple nonworking that are the big fat back one but they are so heavy i haven't figured how to move them out of the house

When we bought our CRT TV we couldn't get it out of the box. I was reluctant to tear the box in case there was a fault with the TV. The next day a couple of guys came to service the aircon and we got them to take it out and lift it onto the hi-fi cabinet. It stayed there for the next 14 years without being moved until we bought a new flat screen. We asked the shop to deliver it so we could persuade the delivery folks to remove the old CRT. In fact they gave us ฿1,000.00 (US$ 30.00) for it.

Back
Top Bottom