Recipe Twice cooked soufflés

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:36 PM
I tried the hairy bikers recipe yesterday. I had a request to make these about 2 years ago so I giggled and made it. I was more than happy with the result. Made a day before so I only had to heat it up. Served with mescaline salad and caramelised onion relish. Got 10/10 from everyone. Highly recommend it.
Russ

Ingredients

1 bay leaf
40g/1½oz butter, plus extra for greasing
40g/1½oz plain flour
100g/3½oz mature cheddar, coarsely grated
1 tsp English mustard (or 2 tsp Dijon mustard)
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 free-range eggs, separated
1 heaped tbsp chopped chives, plus extra for garnish

For the second baking

50g gruyere or mature cheddar, finely grated
6 tbsp double cream

Method

1. For the soufflés, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Generously butter 6x150ml/5fl oz ovenproof ramekins and line the bases with a disc of baking parchment. Place on a baking tray.
  2. Put the onion into a saucepan with the milk and bay leaf. Bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat and cook for 5 minutes to infuse the flavours. Watch carefully to ensure the pan doesn’t boil over. Remove from the heat and set aside for a couple of minutes.
  3. Melt the butter in a medium non-stick saucepan over a low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon. Once combined, return to the heat and cook for a minute, stirring as it cooks and begins to bubble. Remove from the heat.
  4. Strain the milk through a sieve into a jug and discard the onion and bay leaf. You’ll need around 250ml/9fl oz of infused milk, so discard any excess or top up as needed with fresh milk.
  5. Gradually stir the milk into the flour and butter paste, then return to the heat and cook for 2 minutes, bringing to the boil, stirring constantly. The sauce will become smooth and thick. Add the Cheddar, mustard and a grating of nutmeg and continue to cook for a further 1–2 minutes more until the cheese melts.
  6. Stir in the chives and season to taste. The seasoning can be quite strong at this point, as the mixture will be bulked out with egg whites later. Transfer the cheese sauce to a heatproof bowl and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
  7. Once the mixture has cooled, beat in the egg yolks one at a time until thoroughly mixed.
  8. Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks are formed when the whisk is removed. Fold about one-fifth of the egg whites into the cheese mixture with a large metal spoon (this slackens the mixture and makes folding the remaining egg whites in easier). Then gently fold in the remaining egg whites to preserve the volume you have created.
  9. Spoon the soufflé mixture into the ramekins until it almost reaches the top. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes until very well risen and golden-brown on top. (Do not open the oven door for the first 10 minutes of cooking). Once cooked, remove the tray from the oven and leave the soufflés to cool in their ramekins.
  10. When the soufflés are cold, line a baking tray with baking parchment and slide a knife around the edge of each ramekin. Carefully turn the soufflés out onto your hand. remove the baking paper disc from the base. Place on the tray upside down. The soufflés can now be covered with cling film and chilled for up to 24 hours before being baked again.
  11. For the second baking, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Fifteen minutes before serving, remove the cling film from the soufflés, and sprinkle with the grated gruyere or cheddar. Spoon a tablespoon of double cream over each soufflé, allowing it to run down the sides. Bake for 10 minutes until the soufflés are hot and the cheese topping has melted. Serve immediately, sprinked with extra chives if using.
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/double_baked_cheese_94727

Last edited by a moderator:
Did someone say souffle?!:hyper: Tell us more! I'm not sure I want to know about the hairy biker part though. Lol.

Last edited:
They are a pair of British TV cooks who both ride motorbikes, often touring abroad on their bikes for TV series. They are great fun and have some good recipes. I saw them cooking live at the Good Food Show a few years ago.

Ah, reminds me of "The Two Fat Ladies".

They are a pair of British TV cooks who both ride motorbikes, often touring abroad on their bikes for TV series. They are great fun and have some good recipes. I saw them cooking live at the Good Food Show a few years ago.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the Two Fat Ladies!!

I take it the hairy bikers are men.
I tried the hairy bikers recipe yesterday. I had a request to make these about 2 years ago so I giggled and made it. I was more than happy with the result. Made a day before so I only had to heat it up. Served with mescaline salad and caramelised onion relish. Got 10/10 from everyone. Highly recommend it.
Russ

Ingredients

1 bay leaces
40g/1½oz butter, plus extra for greasing
40g/1½oz plain flour
100g/3½oz mature cheddar, coarsely grated
1 tsp English mustard(or 2 tsp Dijon mustard)
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 free-range eggs, separated
1 heaped tbsp chopped chives, plus extra for garnish

For the second baking

50g gruyere or mature cheddar, finely grated
6 tbsp double cream

Method

1. For the soufflés, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Generously butter 6x150ml/5fl oz ovenproof ramekins and line the bases with a disc of baking parchment. Place on a baking tray.
  2. Put the onion into a saucepan with the milk and bay leaf. Bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat and cook for 5 minutes to infuse the flavours. Watch carefully to ensure the pan doesn’t boil over. Remove from the heat and set aside for a couple of minutes.
  3. Melt the butter in a medium non-stick saucepan over a low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon. Once combined, return to the heat and cook for a minute, stirring as it cooks and begins to bubble. Remove from the heat.
  4. Strain the milk through a sieve into a jug and discard the onion and bay leaf. You’ll need around 250ml/9fl oz of infused milk, so discard any excess or top up as needed with fresh milk.
  5. Gradually stir the milk into the flour and butter paste, then return to the heat and cook for 2 minutes, bringing to the boil, stirring constantly. The sauce will become smooth and thick. Add the Cheddar, mustard and a grating of nutmeg and continue to cook for a further 1–2 minutes more until the cheese melts.
  6. Stir in the chives and season to taste. The seasoning can be quite strong at this point, as the mixture will be bulked out with egg whites later. Transfer the cheese sauce to a heatproof bowl and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
  7. Once the mixture has cooled, beat in the egg yolks one at a time until thoroughly mixed.
  8. Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks are formed when the whisk is removed. Fold about one-fifth of the egg whites into the cheese mixture with a large metal spoon (this slackens the mixture and makes folding the remaining egg whites in easier). Then gently fold in the remaining egg whites to preserve the volume you have created.
  9. Spoon the soufflé mixture into the ramekins until it almost reaches the top. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes until very well risen and golden-brown on top. (Do not open the oven door for the first 10 minutes of cooking). Once cooked, remove the tray from the oven and leave the soufflés to cool in their ramekins.
  10. When the soufflés are cold, line a baking tray with baking parchment and slide a knife around the edge of each ramekin. Carefully turn the soufflés out onto your hand. remove the baking paper disc from the base. Place on the tray upside down. The soufflés can now be covered with cling film and chilled for up to 24 hours before being baked again.
  11. For the second baking, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Fifteen minutes before serving, remove the cling film from the soufflés, and sprinkle with the grated gruyere or cheddar. Spoon a tablespoon of double cream over each soufflé, allowing it to run down the sides. Bake for 10 minutes until the soufflés are hot and the cheese topping has melted. Serve immediately, sprinked with extra chives if using.
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/double_baked_cheese_94727

Thanks for the recipe. I've heard of make ahead souffles, but my main concern would be the texture, and if it would puff up after reheating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it the hairy bikers are men.

Yes they are men.

p05s6w7d.jpg

Last edited:
My post was not showing up, as I was trying to edit it by adding an emoticon. It should have read "I take it the hairy bikers are men."

Thanks mg, I've had some signing in issues, I think it's my I pad.
Karen, they tripled in height when cooked but dropped back to twice pre cooked size. My daughter took a spare one home and had the last one last night. She rang and raved about them again. I highly recommend these as they are made a day ahead. It took me only 10'mins to cook these on reheat. So simple. My d.i.l txt me yesterday for the recipe as well.

Again thanks morning glory.

Russ

The reason I took too long to make these was I HATE cooking shows that think they have to have a gimmick. Two fat ladies, btw I loved that show. But then everyone jumped on the band wagon. Two hairy bikers, sheesh. I really love rick stein and Anthony Bourdain. Just guys telling it like it is. And learning.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom