Recipe Two-Ingredient Biscuits

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:53 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Someone posted a recipe similar to this on a creative cooking forum I manage at work, and I was blown away. She used heavy cream instead of half and half; you may have noticed that heavy cream and I aren't on speaking terms, but adjusting the recipe was simple enough.

If you can't find self-rising flour, you can make your own by adding 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt for each cup of flour (i.e., add 1 tablespoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to 2 cups of all-purpose flour). Why didn't I just put that in the recipe in the first place? Because it wouldn't be a 2-ingredient biscuit recipe now would it? :wink:

So, here it is:

Ingredients

2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup half-and-half

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
  2. Mix flour with half-and-half until combined. The mixture will be sticky, which is normal.
  3. Turn out dough onto a heavily-floured surface. Fold dough over on itself, dusting with flour as needed to keep it from sticking. Knead several times in this manner.
  4. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick sheet. Use 3 inch ring mold to cut circles out of the dough. Place on baking sheet covered with non-stick cooking spray.
  5. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve while hot with butter or honey.

wYc6pM2Qd6RzC56KjTps_IMG_0663.jpg

I will put this recipe to the test. Your biscuits are like UK scones - but I've never seen a recipe like this before!
Curious about what you mean by UK Scones. I have a good mind to post a scone recipe of mine!

Or, is this a biscuit = cookie; crisp = chip; chip = french fry sort of misunderstanding. :laugh:

Now my little oven doesn't go to 500 so I will do 450 and 10-12 minutes.

I don't keep half and half on a normal basis. But I don't make ice cream as a general rule.

Curious about what you mean by UK Scones. I have a good mind to post a scone recipe of mine!

Or, is this a biscuit = cookie; crisp = chip; chip = french fry sort of misunderstanding. :laugh:
Yes. Biscuits in the US are similar to but not totally the same as UK scones. Biscuits in UK = Cookies.

Here are UK scones:

cakes-plain-scones.jpg

Yes. Biscuits in the US are similar to but not totally the same as UK scones. Biscuits in UK = Cookies.
Here are UK scones:
Ah-ha...I'd guess that the American version is generally triangular to avoid mixing them up with what we call biscuits. I can't imagine what the reaction would be if someone tried to eat a UK scone with sausage gravy on it (though I would love to have my camera recording the reaction).

Here's what my Light Chocolate Chip Scones looked like:

vwPurWzTh6ULInxzl8m9_IMG_0485.jpg

For UK members - we do not have half and half cream here. It is a mixture of full fat milk and cream commonly sold in US supermarkets.
David Lebovitz* (a name I trust), suggests the following: make half-and-half by mixing both whole milk and whipping cream or heavy cream, in equal proportions. Source: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/what-is-half-and-half/

Unfortunately we don't have heavy cream in the UK so he is not entirely right! We do have double cream, which is, I believe, similar.

* David Lebovitz is a pastry chef, author, and blogger. Trained as a pastry chef in France and Belgium, he worked at Chez Panisse in Berkeley, California for twelve years.

For UK members - we do not have half and half cream here. It is a mixture of full fat milk and cream commonly sold in US supermarkets.
David Lebovitz* (a name I trust), suggests the following: make half-and-half by mixing both whole milk and whipping cream or heavy cream, in equal proportions. Source: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/what-is-half-and-half/

* David Lebovitz is a pastry chef, author, and blogger. Trained as a pastry chef in France and Belgium, he worked at Chez Panisse in Berkeley, California for twelve years.
Thanks for that...as you indicate, half-and-half is literally what the name describes. So, in your case, it's at least a 3-ingredient biscuit (or more if you don't have self-rising flour).

Back
Top Bottom