Types of salt

@Yorky, you don't have to be Jewish to use Kosher salt! :D "Kosher" indicates the size and shape of the flakes - larger than grains, and flat. That type of salt is used by Jewish meat processors to draw blood from meat because it's more effective since it's flat.

I read this: "Kosher foods are those that conform to the regulations of kashrut (Jewish dietary law)".

I read this: "Kosher foods are those that conform to the regulations of kashrut (Jewish dietary law)".

Thats true but in the case of the salt as stated earlier it got the name because it was used to draw out blood from the meat in accordance with Jewish dietry law. It is just salt really - its not made to conform to Jewish regulations.

So it's just salt?
Its made in large pyramid shaped crystals as this (I think!) assists the drawing of blood from meat. Several websites I looked at say it is absolutely the best salt for using on meat or chicken to marinate prior to cooking. Because the crystals are big the amount of Kosher salt required in a recipe is larger than fine salt (apparently). I'm just getting this from the internet! I've never tried Kosher salt and I think I'd have to order it on the internet.

It sounds to me like "designer salt". A scam encouraged by television chefs to get you to buy ordinary salt (shaped like a pyramid) at extortionate prices.

I'll pass.

It sounds to me like "designer salt". A scam encouraged by television chefs to get you to buy ordinary salt (shaped like a pyramid) at extortionate prices.

I'll pass.

I don't think its designer salt exactly. Its been around for hundreds of years. But according to one source I found it was only marketed outside the Jewish community in the 1960's. There are other sources that say it has to be made under kosher supervision which I simply don't understand since I can't see how - plus other sources say it isn't made under Kosher supervision at all!

This is a case of internet confusion. :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom