UK Father's Day

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:48 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So father's day in the UK is coming up soon :)panic:.... Don't worry you've still got time even to post something from Australia :whistling: ). It's Sunday 17the June this year.

So do you have anything planned? Mother's day always seems to be take her out for a meal, but what about father's day? Socks don't quite seem right somehow.

Its the same day in the USA - June 17th. In fact the custom originated there. I've never observed father's day (neither does mu partner) - this might be because we were both born long before Father's Day was introduced in the UK in 1966. So it was never celebrated in our childhoods. I guess since neither of us eber celebrated it we didn't expect our kids to either.

Similarly we didn't celebrate Mother's day either as children, perhaps because in those days it was seen as more of a religious ritual and neither of our families were religious. It seems that (Mothering Sunday was originally a day for Christians to visit their ‘mother’ church where they were baptised during the holy month of Lent). Since I'm not baptised...

I was in Virginia this weekend (poker weekend, did well :) ) While I was gone. My son detailed the inside and outside of my car. Its a tradition he started about 5 years ago for my wife and I. He spends about 4 hours cleaning/waxing it .

I was in Virginia this weekend (poker weekend, did well :) ) While I was gone. My son detailed the inside and outside of my car. Its a tradition he started about 5 years ago for my wife and I. He spends about 4 hours cleaning/waxing it .

Was that for Father's Day? He is very early! A lovely thing to do though.

My father died in 1985..... :cry:
I guess that means that at least you knew him. Mine I'm told is over 75 years old, may be 80. I don't know him thankfully but have heard of what he did from various sources, all reliable and one with nothing to lose on her death bed. One of the reasons I lived in so many places as an infant was to do with him trying to stay one step ahead of the bill. He finally had to leave the country heading out to Johannesburg so avoid them.

My second step father is someone however I will be sending a card to and wishing happy fathers day to, but that will be as far as it will get with him now being back in the UK. Hopefully my sister will take him and our mum out for a meal.

Back
Top Bottom