Uploading photos

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:40 PM
Mod. Edit - moved to start new thread

Please note that @SatNavSaysStraightOn has been working on improving the way the Forum uploads photos to improve the resolution. I can really see the difference in the last few images posted!

The images that I post have been post processed to a pixel size of between 900 x 600 and 1000 x 500 and a quality of 9 (out of 12). Should I now amend this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I too also process my photos to the size I want them to display at rather than allowing the system to do it automatically because I can control a number of elements including the sharpening matrix used (direct sharpening or unsharp mask) and to what degree, plus I can control the compression ratio used by all jpeg file saves (usually a 0-100 or 0-10 scale). This allows me more control. It also allows me to choose to display something smaller than the maximum dimensions permitted (which the system will default to on auto file rescaling) if I wanted for instance to increase the quality of the photo.

The biggest change right now is that I have increased the actual file size permitted from 2Mb to 4Mb per file.

The dimensions themselves haven't been increased hugely. They were something along the lines of 900x625.
I've taken them to 1200x1024.
(They were briefly larger but it was overpowering.)
This doesn't mean you have to have these exact dimensions as you know. It simply means that if your picture is landscape it will be resized to 1200 pixels wide if it is larger than that limit or 1024 pixels high if it is portrait.

If you wish to upload a file that had smaller dimensions but never quality, you will can. It is entirely up to you.

If you want to go through any posts older than a year that have over photos in them that you wish to replace, if it is just one or two then I'd the report button and contact us rehashing each one that way and we'll make the changes for you.

If you want to change write a few more, please send me a PM directly and we'll talk about your requirements.

SNSSO

The biggest change right now is that I have increased the actual file size permitted from 2Mb to 4Mb per file.

I've been uploading 4Mb files forever - so presumably the system doesn't stop us uploading bigger files. My understanding is that the file size is then reduced to that which is permitted on the forum. I mean, unlike some websites, your files will not be blocked from uploading if they are larger than permitted size.

I don't alter the size of my photos for uploading. Try uploading something here which you haven't changed.

This is a dum which I cooked earlier this year.

As captured by the camera, no adjustment to size (6000 x 4000 px) top quality will not upload - "The uploaded image is too big. The uploaded file is too large":

Same size but reduced in "quality" to 9 (out of 12) - still will not load "The uploaded image is too big"

Reduced in size to 4500 x 3000, quality 9

Cooking rq s.jpg

Last edited:
This is a dum which I cooked earlier this year.

As captured by the camera, no adjustment to size (6000 x 4000 px) or quality will not upload - "The uploaded image is too big. The uploaded file is too large":

Same size but reduced in "quality" to 9 (out of 12) - still will not load "The uploaded image is too big"

Reduced in size to 4500 x 3000, quality 9

View attachment 17081

How many MBs are the images which won't upload?

Your egg photo copied back says:

I see that it's kept the aspect ratio at 3:2 (which I usually shoot at - probably due to many years using 35 mm film) but reduced the quality (I guess) thereby reducing the size in Kb.

I still don't understand why I can upload 4Mb and you can't! Your image looks less sharp then mine (not a criticism of your photography). Not sure why.

The image I posted above copied back now reads:

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 08.24.09.png

The previous screenshot was how it read after I posted it in the 'What did you eat' today thread.

I still don't understand why I can upload 4Mb and you can't! Your image looks less sharp then mine (not a criticism of your photography). Not sure why.

The shot was taken in available light, 50 mm 1.8 prime; f4.0 at 1/64s without flash. Probably a little slow for that lense and aperture (no IS) without being tripod mounted.

Back
Top Bottom