US vs. European food standards

@MypinchofItaly

Yes, I know it is not only Italy. France has alot or problems as well and other E.U. Countries. Hungary burns the fields and The French burn the fields too close to Provençe ..

The key are the Chefs of Michelin status .. They have alot of power. United we stand, divided we fall as the old proverb says ..

To more pleasant conversations !!
This upsets me greatly ..

Have a nice evening ..

I wanted to be sure you know this about Italy....
Back to the key, yes! Chefs of Michelin are a status and they are the power.

It seems that 'chlorine washing' is shorthand for a bundle of permitted chemicals (including chlorine dioxide and sodium chlorite):

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-...at-their-poultry-with-chlorine/555618.article
That chlorine dioxide is present in most city's water supply. Along with ammonia, 11 months out of the year. The other month they use what is commonly known as free chlorine.

Might I be so nosy as to ask what procedures your food producers take to insure pathogen free foods?

@Cinisajoy

Usa: There are 4, 200 Chefs in 46 states in the Usa - The Food Policy Action Group :

The Food Policy Action Group, made up of 4,200 Chefs from 46 states, at this very moment, have their case in The High Court ..
United we stand, divided we fall .. As a group they hired a lawyer with the same philosophy.

One of the main points of battle is: To insure transparent Mandatory labelling of all ingredients in all products produced, grown and fished etcetra, and sold in the Usa and exported and products imported as well, regardless of country.

I shall write up the Rest on the Usa, and the E.U. Update tomorrow ..

I must go home !!

It seems that 'chlorine washing' is shorthand for a bundle of permitted chemicals (including chlorine dioxide and sodium chlorite):

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-...at-their-poultry-with-chlorine/555618.article
Interesting article but it still doesn't mean we want it or need it. Most experts advise that, providing chicken is cooked properly and the cooked chicken is stored properly, it should prevent very little risk. They also advise that the easiest way to ensure that no disease it transmitted is to keep the [chickens'] environment clean and wash your hands. That was how our chickens were reared etc (and, remember, we never had a fridge) and I can't think of any time that any of us were ill from the eggs or the chickens. From what I can recall food-poisoning was quite rare, but in those days so were battery- and cage-reared birds, and the way they were prepared for sale was completely different.

That chlorine dioxide is present in most city's water supply.

It's debatable at the moment as to whether it is the chlorine in our tap water which is making me ill, either through drinking it or through contact with my skin. Our water supply here comes from the local sewage treatment works as there are no nearby reservoirs. When the chlorine is added to it, what comes out of the tap smells strongly of bleach. This smell gets less throughout the week, until six days later the water smells like sh*t. It is vile, yet it is within legal limits - yes, we had it analysed because of my illness/allergy. I don't drink water unless it is filtered and/or boiled. None of my pets will drink it either - they would rather drink rain water out in the garden. In fact, the water out of our old fish pond looked nicer. The water where my daughter lives looks nicer too, but I still boil it first.

@Cinisajoy

Usa: There are 4, 200 Chefs in 46 states in the Usa - The Food Policy Action Group :

The Food Policy Action Group, made up of 4,200 Chefs from 46 states, at this very moment, have their case in The High Court ..
United we stand, divided we fall .. As a group they hired a lawyer with the same philosophy.

One of the main points of battle is: To insure transparent Mandatory labelling of all ingredients in all products produced, grown and fished etcetra, and sold in the Usa and exported and products imported as well, regardless of country.

I shall write up the Rest on the Usa, and the E.U. Update tomorrow ..

I must go home !!
I know what you are talking about. There are at least 10 times that many chefs in the USA that are not involved. What do you mean by High Court?
We have municipal court, district court, federal court and the Supreme Court which only hears appeals from lower courts. I figure it was a bad translation.
Some lawyer found 4,200 "chefs" willing to let him use their name in a Federal court case against certain food producers. Oh and the US has 50 states.
I do agree with them except for the fact that we already have the food labeling act which requires every ingredient be listed in order of amount and if the factory also produced known allergens.

It's debatable at the moment as to whether it is the chlorine in our tap water which is making me ill, either through drinking it or through contact with my skin. Our water supply here comes from the local sewage treatment works as there are no nearby reservoirs. When the chlorine is added to it, what comes out of the tap smells strongly of bleach. This smell gets less throughout the week, until six days later the water smells like sh*t. It is vile, yet it is within legal limits - yes, we had it analysed because of my illness/allergy. I don't drink water unless it is filtered and/or boiled. None of my pets will drink it either - they would rather drink rain water out in the garden. In fact, the water out of our old fish pond looked nicer. The water where my daughter lives looks nicer too, but I still boil it first.
Now that is really interesting. Here in the US, sewage water is not allowed to be reused for human consumption. It can be used for irrigation but there has to be a sign by every sprinkler that uses it. The sign says this is irrigated by reclaimed water. Do not drink it. Or non-potable water. Not fit for human consumption.
So the UK government has strict food safety laws but allows their citizens to drink sh*t water. At least half of that is screwed up.
Note to self: don't visit the UK, their water sounds worse than Mexico.

I know what you are talking about. There are at least 10 times that many chefs in the USA that are not involved. What do you mean by High Court?
We have municipal court, district court, federal court and the Supreme Court which only hears appeals from lower courts. I figure it was a bad translation.
Some lawyer found 4,200 "chefs" willing to let him use their name in a Federal court case against certain food producers. Oh and the US has 50 states.
I do agree with them except for the fact that we already have the food labeling act which requires every ingredient be listed in order of amount and if the factory also produced known allergens.

@Cinisajoy

1) Yes, The Usa has more than 46 states, ( 50 or 51 I thought ) and the chefs are from 46 different states.
2) I shall check with the Chef, which court and I believe it is in Nyc or California ..
3) The Chefs hired the legal firm to represent them. The President of a major culinary institute had formed the Group to battle against Monsanto and labelling and other food related maladies ..
4) I shall check the dates on this ..

I had been informed about it at a major gastronomic convention I attended in Madrid last January / February 2017.
And at the moment, cannot recall all the details ..

5) The Chef, is an American Italian and born in Nyc. I am uncertain, what translation are you referring to ?

22.45 Here so I am going to say
Have a nice evening ..

@Cinisajoy

1) Yes, The Usa has more than 46 states, ( 50 or 51 I thought ) and the chefs are from 46 different states.
2) I shall check with the Chef, which court and I believe it is in Nyc or California ..
3) The Chefs hired the legal firm to represent them. The President of a major culinary institute had formed the Group to battle against Monsanto and labelling and other food related maladies ..
4) I shall check the dates on this ..

I had been informed about it at a major gastronomic convention I attended in Madrid last January / February 2017.
And at the moment, cannot recall all the details ..

5) The Chef, is an American Italian and born in Nyc. I am uncertain, what translation are you referring to ?

22.45 Here so I am going to say
Have a nice evening ..
On the translation: the use of High Court. We have no such thing. Though now that you mentioned exactly what it was, they are taking it to Superior Court in California. Now, the thing is even if the Superior Court in California rules that Monsanto and the others have to put exact wording on labels, that will only apply to what they sell in California. It does not have a dang thing to do with the rest of the states.
Then that lawyer can attempt to get similar laws passed in similar states if and only if he is allowed to practice in those states.
Now the reason for California is they have more regulations on everything and if it is determined that it might be conceived as healthier then California will pass that new law.
The rest of the states usually do not follow California's lead.
*Superior is just what they call their court system. We have District Court instead.
Matter of fact I would bet without looking that case will probably be heard in either the Superior Court of Los Angeles or Sacramento.

Also: since they have singled out Monsanto, they are the only ones the ruling would apply to.
Looks like a test case to see if it would be worth taking farther.
Let me google it.

Hey Francesca,
Couple of things apparently got lost in translation.
I don't know your source but one had nothing to do with chefs but California did rule that Monsanto had to put this product may cause cancer on their pesticides and herbicides.
The other was President Obama did pass a law that the general public has to have a way to know if a product is a GMO. Bad thing: this can be done by sticking a QR code or 1-800 number on the label.
I think the chefs are trying to force the government to put the actual information on the label.
Monsanto is used to court cases. Both sides.
It has either not gone to court yet or the chefs lost or a judge threw it out without there ever being a trial.
I googled Monsanto court cases.

Though I am not sure how I feel about a company that both produces food and weed killers.

@Cinisajoy

1) Firstly,the name of the Italian American Michelin Star Chef, Elizabeth, New Jersey born, is Thomas P. Colicchio and he is the founder and President of The Environmental Works Group in Washington D.C.

2) He educates voters on farming & food issues being debated.

3) He is the owner and Co Founder of The Grammacy Tavern in Manhattan and numerous other restaurants, most in Manhattan.

4) He has authored 3 books, and has merited 5 James Beard awards.

5) The court is not mentioned however, I believe it could be in California, New York City (Manhattan) as he is based there or New Jersey or he is also based in Washington D.C.

6) Though he has culinary affilations with group restaurants in California, there is no mention of it being his state resdience.

7) In 2015: The Court: " The information on labels, must rigoursly,follow the 1st Amendment, that all labels must identify if a product is genetically engineered, or genetically modified or is a Gmo and what the ingredients are .. because it is a form of communicative speech "..
This took place on the 18th June 2015.

This all I know in relation to the Court Case ..

The Chef´s passion is to teach voters, about farming and food issues ..

Anyway, it was an interesting read ..
I must get up at 6am and it is 12am !
Goodnight .. Have a nice evening.

I appreciate you getting me those names but you really need to check your sources. The Chef you mentioned has nothing to do with the EWG. I googled both.
Now the EWG did take Monsanto to court back in 2005 on the labeling. Nothing more current. Oh and that group is not chefs but people concerned about the environment.

Yes, you were accurate on the awards. If you watch some cooking shows, he is a known celebrity.
I have no doubt that the chef told your chef friend about it but by then the labeling issue had been resolved.

I do remember that case. It was not really 4200 chefs, but 4200 restaurant workers agreed to put their names down as agreeing with the we need better labels.

Back
Top Bottom