Use of this term 'entree'

badjak

Local time
2:25 AM
[Mod.edit: this post and following few moved to form a new topic. (MG)]

Off topic, but why is the main course called entree?
To me an entree should be a starter?

Is entree for the main course used by both Americans and Brits?

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic, but why is the main course called entree?
To me an entree should be a starter?

Is entree for the main course used by both Americans and Brits?

Brits don't say that in general - that's more an American thing.

The history of how it came to be is something to do with French cookbooks containing meals with many (like 5 or 6) courses with entree being one of them, right before a course of large amounts of roasted meats. Since most Americans weren't having these huge spit-roasted courses, these meals got simplified down and 'entree' ended up being the main one. Or something like that. It's wrong whichever way it happened <dons flame-retardent suit, ducks and runs for cover>.

:D

Brits don't say that in general - that's more an American thing.

The history of how it came to be is something to do with French cookbooks containing meals with many (like 5 or 6) courses with entree being one of them, right before a course of large amounts of roasted meats. Since most Americans weren't having these huge spit-roasted courses, these meals got simplified down and 'entree' ended up being the main one. Or something like that. It's wrong whichever way it happened <dons flame-retardent suit, ducks and runs for cover>.

:D

Yeah, that's pretty much how I have learned it. The entree is the main course in the US, and probably most of Canada. The French areas of Canada (Quebec, especially Montreal) may do things differently.

A typical multi course meal in the US would be an appetizer, a soup/salad course, an entree, and a dessert. It is typical to have a cocktail before and during the appetizer, and wine with your entree. Coffee with dessert, and perhaps a cordial -- I like a good vintage Porto if available.

CD

I too, was puzzled by the use of this term by our US members when I first joined this forum. To me, an entrée means the French term (literally, the entrance or first dish).

Wikipedia:
An entrée (/ˈɒ̃treɪ/, US also /ɒnˈtreɪ/; French: [ɑ̃tʁe]), in modern French table service and that of much of the English-speaking world, is a dish served before the main course of a meal. Outside North America, it is generally synonymous with the terms hors d'oeuvre, appetizer, or starter. It may be the first dish served, or it may follow a soup or other small dish or dishes.

In the United States and parts of Canada, the term entrée instead refers to the main dish or the only dish of a meal.[a]

The real reason we changed entree to the main course is that we knew all the snobs in Yurrip would get their panties in a wad over it. It's what we live for. :okay:

CD :D

Back
Top Bottom