Uses for leftover oil or vinegar from jars of pickle

Kake Lover

Veteran
Local time
1:49 PM
What do you do with the oil left over in the jar? I'm thinking of things like the jars of chopped sweet peppers in oil or sun-dried tomatoes. Do you use it up in meals and snacks? If so, any suggestions?

If you discard it, do you wash it down the sink or find a container to dispose of it in general waste?

What about the vinegar left over after you've eaten all the pickles? Mr K likes to keep it and drizzle on his chips instead of normal vinegar.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you do with the oil left over in the jar?
I'm thinking of things like the jars of chopped sweet peppers in oil or sun-dried tomatoes.

I do try to use it but often there is just to much to store (I have such a small kitchen). Bit yes, I use it in place of bottled oils for frying or in salad dressings etc. I use the oil from either of the above to fry eggs - delicious.

I have in the past used vinegar from pickles for making salad dressings or for sprinkling on food, but lately I've been making my own "quick" pickles and tend to serve them up in some of their own juices so there isn't any left over. I sometimes pour off a drop of the peanut oil from my peanut butter to use in a stir fry. I don't use peanut oil as a rule, so what is in the jar is sufficient for me.

Back
Top Bottom