Using the Microwave

Discussion in 'Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Gadgets & Cookbooks' started by alexander, Jan 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alexander

alexander Well-Known Member

We live in a small London flat with a small kitchen but it does have a built in microwave. I must say that I don't use it much. I mostly use it to heat up left overs or to cook a ready meal. I was wondering if you guys have some good ideas of how to use it more creatively. And also how much do you all use microwaves?

Kake Lover likes this.
  2. Cinisajoy

Cinisajoy Senior Member

Popcorn, heating stuff up and softening butter. Also the kitchen timer on it gets used quite a bit.

3. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I mainly use it for reheating leftovers, softening butter & making popcorn. :wink:

Cinisajoy likes this.
  4. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

Kick starting jacket potatoes (1.5 - 2.0 minutes each), defrosting food if I've forgotten to take it out of the freezer early enough and my wife uses it for warming milk for the cats. That's it really.

[Edit: Also, re-heating previously cooked jacket potatoes].

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  5. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

So.... why aren't we cooking vegetables in the microwave, I wonder? Boiled potatoes for example.

Kake Lover likes this.
  6. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

Serious unless I Googled it. I wouldn't know how to do that. I know how long to boil potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, etc., until they are to my liking. Learning new tricks is not in this old dog's itinerary any more.

7. Cinisajoy

Cinisajoy Senior Member

Because vegetables do not taste the same cooked in a microwave.

8. morning glory

Microwaving is supposed to be similar to steaming. It shouldn't affect taste... in what way do you think it does?

9. Cinisajoy

Cinisajoy Senior Member

Where did you read that?
    Microwaving is no where close to steaming though you can steam in a microwave.
    It makes vegetables taste weird. I can't really describe it. And it changes the texture some.
    I know how you can test this. Cook your mushy peas in the microwave and see if there is a difference.
    You can boil in a microwave, you can just reheat, you can steam. Heck you can even bake a cake.
    You just have to use the proper vessel.
    So microwave and steam are two different things altogether.

Shermie likes this.
  10. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I cook frozen veggies in the microwave also. The ones that come in the pouch & butter-sauced. :wink:

11. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Yes you CAN steam in the microwave, especially veggies. They can be found in your grocer's freezer. :wink:

12. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Steam Veggies..jpg

Here are some. :wink:

13. morning glory

Yes we can get those too. You can also cook/steam fresh veg in the microwave.

Shermie likes this.
  14. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

A pot of mash because it is easier than cookin/ mashing the spuds, occasionally porridge-3 minutes and it is done, M&S dimsum that is about it. Ours is hardly ever used but good to have as a back up.

morning glory likes this.
  15. Cinisajoy

Cinisajoy Senior Member

I said you could steam. But not all microwaving is steaming.
    @morning glory said MICROWAVING WAS LIKE STEAMING.
    It can steam, but not all microwaved food is steamed.
    You can also bake, boil, and even roast with the correct dishes in the microwave.
    So no a microwave is not just a steamer as morning glory implied.

Shermie likes this.