Using the Microwave

alexander

Über Member
Local time
4:44 PM
We live in a small London flat with a small kitchen but it does have a built in microwave. I must say that I don't use it much. I mostly use it to heat up left overs or to cook a ready meal. I was wondering if you guys have some good ideas of how to use it more creatively. And also how much do you all use microwaves?

Popcorn, heating stuff up and softening butter. Also the kitchen timer on it gets used quite a bit.

Kick starting jacket potatoes (1.5 - 2.0 minutes each), defrosting food if I've forgotten to take it out of the freezer early enough and my wife uses it for warming milk for the cats. That's it really.

[Edit: Also, re-heating previously cooked jacket potatoes].

Last edited:
So.... why aren't we cooking vegetables in the microwave, I wonder? Boiled potatoes for example.

Serious unless I Googled it. I wouldn't know how to do that. I know how long to boil potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, etc., until they are to my liking. Learning new tricks is not in this old dog's itinerary any more.

Microwaving is supposed to be similar to steaming. It shouldn't affect taste... in what way do you think it does?
Where did you read that?
Microwaving is no where close to steaming though you can steam in a microwave.
It makes vegetables taste weird. I can't really describe it. And it changes the texture some.
I know how you can test this. Cook your mushy peas in the microwave and see if there is a difference.
You can boil in a microwave, you can just reheat, you can steam. Heck you can even bake a cake.
You just have to use the proper vessel.
So microwave and steam are two different things altogether.

I cook frozen veggies in the microwave also. The ones that come in the pouch & butter-sauced. :wink:

Where did you read that?
Microwaving is no where close to steaming though you can steam in a microwave.
It makes vegetables taste weird. I can't really describe it. And it changes the texture some.
I know how you can test this. Cook your mushy peas in the microwave and see if there is a difference.
You can boil in a microwave, you can just reheat, you can steam. Heck you can even bake a cake.
You just have to use the proper vessel.
So microwave and steam are two different things altogether.

Yes you CAN steam in the microwave, especially veggies. They can be found in your grocer's freezer. :wink:

Steam Veggies..jpg

Here are some. :wink:

A pot of mash because it is easier than cookin/ mashing the spuds, occasionally porridge-3 minutes and it is done, M&S dimsum that is about it. Ours is hardly ever used but good to have as a back up.

I said you could steam. But not all microwaving is steaming.
@morning glory said MICROWAVING WAS LIKE STEAMING.
It can steam, but not all microwaved food is steamed.
You can also bake, boil, and even roast with the correct dishes in the microwave.
So no a microwave is not just a steamer as morning glory implied.

Back
Top Bottom