Using the Microwave

I cooked rhubarb in mine recently (for the Recipe Challenge) and that was just perfect. A mere 30 seconds. So...I'm thinking I'll explore using mine a bit more.

One thing I do use it for is rising bread dough when I'm in a hurry. Cover the dough in clingfilm in a bowl (as you would anyway) an heat for 10 seconds on high. Rest for ten minutes and repeat. The dough will prove in half the normal time which is handy if you are in a hurry.

I also use the microwave for making bechamel sauce.

I said you could steam. But not all microwaving is steaming.
@morning glory said MICROWAVING WAS LIKE STEAMING.
It can steam, but not all microwaved food is steamed.
You can also bake, boil, and even roast with the correct dishes in the microwave.
So no a microwave is not just a steamer as morning glory implied.

Well, as you might already know, all microwaves, small, medium or large, have to rely entirely on moisture being in the food that's cooked or reheated in it.
Which no doubt, is the source of the steam.

If there is no moisture in the food, then it should not be nuked in the microwave. I'm quite sure that no one would try to do anything in it that is dry with no moisture at all. :wink:

Well, as you might already know, all microwaves, small, medium or large, have to rely entirely on moisture being in the food that's cooked or reheated in it.
Which no doubt, is the source of the steam.

If there is no moisture in the food, then it should not be nuked in the microwave. I'm quite sure that no one would try to do anything in it that is dry with no moisture at all. :wink:
I reheat tortillas all the time.
They are what I would consider a dry food.
So are you saying putting something in water to cook it in the microwave is steaming? No, that is boiling.
A microwave heats foods.
Steaming is specifically putting food over very hot (steaming) water.
Just because a microwave creates steam does not mean it is steaming the food.

'So are you saying putting something in water to cook it in the microwave is steaming? No, that is boiling.'

Think about it.

Most foods that you buy have some type of moisture in them.

Meat, Canned goods, frozen dinners, frozen veggies, fresh fruits, dairy, precooked foods.

These all have some moisture in them, though you probably WOULDN'T want to cook a steak in the nuker. This is the natural or manmade moisture that I was speaking of.

Even if you were to cook something moist & covered in your regular oven, steam is going to be produced :wink:

'So are you saying putting something in water to cook it in the microwave is steaming? No, that is boiling.'

Think about it.

Most foods that you buy have some type of moisture in them.

Meat, Canned goods, frozen dinners, frozen veggies, fresh fruits, dairy, precooked foods.

These all have some moisture in them, though you probably WOULDN'T want to cook a steak in the nuker. This is the natural or manmade moisture that I was speaking of.

Even if you were to cook something moist & covered in your regular oven, steam is going to be produced :wink:
Well now you are right, I wouldn't cook a steak there but in every microwave cookbook I own, there is at least one steak/beef recipe.
Now I take that back, I might do a Salisbury steak from Banquet if I was in a hurry.

Yes but producing steam from cooking is not the same as steaming a vegetable.

As well as the usual reheating food in the microwave, I use it a lot.
I defrost meat when I have forgotten to take anything out in the morning. Keep it loosely wrapped though. Two slices of bread are removed from the pack in the freezer, put in a cellophane bag and defrosted for 30 - 40 seconds for sandwiches.

I don't use it for anything that needs regular stirring, like porridge, scrambled egg or sauces because it's too much faff to keep opening the door.

I particularly use it for poaching fish, and all fresh or frozen vegetables.
I have a range of dishes with lids that are used all the time. The glass pyrex ones are perfect but the plastic ones (designed for cooking not just reheating) are invaluable.

So, when poaching fish, I use the largest pyrex dish, cover the fish with milk and cook on medium for a few minutes. The milk is drained off for the sauce and the fish is kept warm in the dish with the lid on.

The largest pyrex dish is also used for making mashed potato. The potatoes are chopped into smaller pieces than you would normally, cooked in a small amount of water until soft. The water is mashed into the potatoes so no vitamin C is lost, then I mash in a knob of butter or margarine and any seasoning, after that I add milk to the desired consistency. Because the milk is cold from the fridge, the whole lot is then reheated with the lid on, for two minutes in the microwave before serving.

Frozen vegetables are cooked straight from the freezer in a dish with the lid on. No extra water is needed so no vitamins are lost.
Fresh vegetables are all cooked in a dish with the lid on in a small amount of water.
Any water that appears from cooking frozen vegetables and all the water used in cooking fresh vegetables are drained off and added to any sauce, gravy, stew etc.
So cauliflower cheese tastes amazing because all the cooking water goes into the roux before adding milk and cheese.

I have been doing this since microwaves came out so I have got used to juggling and coordinating what's being cooked as the same time as whatever main dish I am doing on the cooker.

The key is to always cover everything appropriately with a lid or a piece of kitchen paper and not to overcook anything.

Last edited:
As well as the usual reheating food in the microwave, I use it a lot.
I defrost meat when I have forgotten to take anything out in the morning. Keep it loosely wrapped though. Two slices of bread are removed from the pack in the freezer, put in a cellophane bag and defrosted for 30 - 40 seconds for sandwiches.

I don't use it for anything that needs regular stirring, like porridge, scrambled egg or sauces because it's too much faff to keep opening the door.

I particularly use it for poaching fish, and all fresh or frozen vegetables.
I have a range of dishes with lids that are used all the time. The glass pyrex ones are perfect but the plastic ones (designed for cooking not just reheating) are invaluable.

So, when poaching fish, I use the largest pyrex dish, cover the fish with milk and cook on medium for a few minutes. The milk is drained off for the sauce and the fish is kept warm in the dish with the lid on.

The largest pyrex dish is also used for making mashed potato. The potatoes are chopped into smaller pieces than you would normally, cooked in a small amount of water until soft. The water is mashed into the potatoes so no vitamin C is lost, then I mash in a knob of butter or margarine and any seasoning, after that I add milk to the desired consistency. Because the milk is cold from the fridge, the whole lot is then reheated with the lid on, for two minutes in the microwave before serving.

Frozen vegetables are cooked straight from the freezer in a dish with the lid on. No extra water is needed so no vitamins are lost.
Fresh vegetables are all cooked in a dish with the lid on in a small amount of water.
Any water that appears from cooking frozen vegetables and all the water used in cooking fresh vegetables are drained off and added to any sauce, gravy, stew etc.

I have been doing this since microwaves came out so I have got used to juggling and coordinating what's being cooked as the same time as whatever main dish I am doing on the cooker.

The key is to always cover everything appropriately with a lid or a piece of kitchen paper and not to overcook anything.
Wow! You must be our microwave queen. I'm now encouraged to use mine more. I know fish is really good and I have cooked it that way. The biggest issue I find with the microwave is that its too easy to overcook things.

But I will try some of your ideas. Thanks!

I probably don't use my microwave as often as I should: I only really use it for reheating things, making popcorn and heating milk for hot chocolate.
One thing I do use it for is rising bread dough when I'm in a hurry. Cover the dough in clingfilm in a bowl (as you would anyway) an heat for 10 seconds on high. Rest for ten minutes and repeat. The dough will prove in half the normal time which is handy if you are in a hurry.
I really like this idea - will have to try it next time I'm making bread in a hurry. So you just do the two 10 second bits in the microwave and then leave it to prove as normal (but for less time)? Sounds ideal for those times when you want bread for lunch but forgot to make it the day before!

My mum always uses her microwave for veg - she has a set of tupperware dishes specially designed for the microwave. I've never got into the habit though, maybe because I don't have any suitable cookware so its a bit of a hassle finding a bowl and using clingfilm each time. I really should try to use it more though - its probably far more efficient that using a pan on the hob.

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably don't use my microwave as often as I should: I only really use it for reheating things, making popcorn and heating milk for hot chocolate.

I really like this idea - will have to try it next time I'm making bread in a hurry. So you just do the two 10 second bits in the microwave and then leave it to prove as normal (but for less time)? Sounds ideal for those times when you want bread for lunch but forgot to make it the day before!

Yes... I think you can do it one more time (one more 10 second blast- so 3 in all). I confess I haven't done it for a while as since I retired I have plenty of timee - but I will do a test on the method later in the week. I'll make a batch of dough and divide it in two, then microwave treat one half. It will be interesting to see the difference in rising times.

The other thing I do in the microwave is spinach (which is sold washed in bags). Just pierce the pack and a few minutes blast. The spinach does seem to taste fresher that way - and it is a good way of keeping it a bit longer if it looks like its near its use by date. Obviously you can do this with any spinach - just put in a microwavable dish and cover - no need to add water if its just been washed.

The other thing I do in the microwave is spinach (which is sold washed in bags). Just pierce the pack and a few minutes blast. The spinach does seem to taste fresher that way - and it is a good way of keeping it a bit longer if it looks like its near its use by date. Obviously you can do this with any spinach - just put in a microwavable dish and cover - no need to add water if its just been washed.

Yes, I do that too. Washed leaves only need a minute or two depending how much you are cooking. Delicious and really fresh tasting.

IMG_20170123_122443229.jpg

These are the dishes that I use.

Back
Top Bottom