Using the Microwave

I use it to cook baking potatoes, sometimes to cook bacon, heating up leftovers, heating up water when I want to make just a couple of cups of coffee or I need hot water for a bain-marie or something else, heat tortillas, and used to make peanut or macadamia nutbrittle in it, though not in a long time. I cook asparagus in it by using several very damp paper towels on bottom, dividing asparagus into 2 bundles and placing the tips in the center, covering with very damp paper towels, then cooking for3-4 minutes until I get desired doneness. This only works for small amounts, like for 2 people, but it cooks the asparagus perfectly. You can also dry out and crisp flour tortillas (never tried with corn) without oil, but it's time consuming since they have to be done in a single layer so it's usually easier to do it in the oven.

There's probably more I use it for if I really sat down and thought about it.

DD makes chocolate and peanut butter fudge in the microwave and swears by it. I've never tried it personally. She and DGD also make cakes/cupcakes in it from time to time but I personally don't like the texture of cake cooked in the microwave.

I don't prick my potatoes...i wrap them in a paper towel before nuking....they are big idaho potatoes...4 minutes on one side then flip the tater and 2-3 minutes on the other stopping the microwave to test squeeze the potato for softness.

I've cooked spaghetti squash in the microwave in the past. It's a little hard to stab it a couple of times with a knife. I mixed the cook spaghetti squash with whole wheat spaghetti, melted butter, salt and pepper, and a shower of grated Parmesan cheese. Pretty good.

Since posting this thread we moved to a new flat. The last flat had a built in microwave and I started using it more thanks to all your suggestions. The new flat has no microwave so I think I am going to buy one.

On cold mornings, I heated a mug of water for about a minute or two, and added a packet of hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. The hot chocolate came in envelopes or packets under a brand called Swiss Miss. Sometimes I liked to mix a half a cup of hot chocolate and a half a cup of coffee.

On cold mornings, I heated a mug of water for about a minute or two, and added a packet of hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. The hot chocolate came in envelopes or packets under a brand called Swiss Miss. Sometimes I liked to mix a half a cup of hot chocolate and a half a cup of coffee.

That sounds very indulgent. :)

Who needs Starbucks! Mostly it was fast LOL. That double hit of caffeine will sure get you going in the morning.

Or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to your hot chocolate. There is a restaurant in New York City called Serendipity. I think they serve a dish called frozen hot chocolate. Maybe that's similar to how they make it, but topped with whipped cream.

Back
Top Bottom