Using the right kitchen utensils

Local time
1:14 AM
Do you always use the right kitchen utensils for what they are intended for? For instance, when scrambling an egg, would you always use a kitchen fork, or would you at times grab an ordinary fork to do the scrambling? How about a butter knife or a butter dish? What about salad spoons? Do you always use these for salads or do you think an ordinary table spoon does the job just as well? These are just a few examples.

When I am scrambling an egg, I tend to use an ordinary dinner fork to do the scrambling. For me, it does the job just as good. I have not used a real butter knife in years. When I am spreading butter on bread, I use an ordinary dinner knife. I do use a butter dish now though, but for many years I used a cereal bowl in which to store my butter. I find using a butter dish much more convenient though, since it has its own cover. As for salad spoons, these are only seen when I am having guests over for dinner.

I have spoken to this before but I will say again I hardly ever use equipment for it's intended purpose. Take the same eggs you mentioned. I almost never use a whisk. It's only because of being here that I took one out the other day and used it. As for salad spoons I have to check to see what has to thrown out. The only time I will use stuff like that is when I am having guest.

I should not speak for Caribbean girl but I am thinking she means your regular table fork as opposed to some other fork be it a dessert fork, fish fork etc. I feel like this might be something that we came along hearing: kitchen fork. I might be wrong but I will wait and see.

When I am scrambling an egg, I tend to use an ordinary dinner fork to do the scrambling.

Well, I don't use a fork at all for scrambled egg - I didn't know that was the correct way! I use a wooden spoon in a non-stick small deep frying pan. But what is a kitchen fork as opposed to a dinner fork? I only have one type of fork.

I only have one type of fork. What is the difference between a kitchen fork and an ordinary fork please?

The photo seen below is what we refer to here as a kitchen fork. I think I have one some where around, but have not used it in quite a while. It is a much longer fork than an ordinary fork we would eat with, and is better to use when it comes to scrambling eggs or turning a hamburger or piece of meat in a frying pan.

upload_2015-8-3_11-39-3.jpeg

The photo seen below is what we refer to here as a kitchen fork. I think I have one some where around, but have not used it in quite a while. It is a much longer fork than an ordinary fork we would eat with, and is better to use when it comes to scrambling eggs or turning a hamburger or piece of meat in a frying pan.

View attachment 1274
That looks like a carving fork to me, but I could be wrong. What sort of length is it? Usually a carving knife would have an accompanying carving fork of a similar length to allow you to hold the meat stable with the fork and then use the knife to carve with. @Berties any thoughts?

That looks like a carving fork to me, but I could be wrong. What sort of length is it? Usually a carving knife would have an accompanying carving fork of a similar length to allow you to hold the meat stable with the fork and then use the knife to carve with. @Berties any thoughts?
Looks like a carving fork,helps hold the joint while carving,and you can use it as a knife guide ,some have a flip up guard on them ,I have a old straight,handle gustav carving fork,that I get extremely annoyed when people tap tunes with it as it weakens them,no real over culinary uses,scramble egg I always use a whisk for scrambled egg even and fluffy ,can't do it any other way in my eyes either hot or cold pan

Looks like a carving fork,helps hold the joint while carving,and you can use it as a knife guide ,some have a flip up guard on them ,I have a old straight,handle gustav carving fork,that I get extremely annoyed when people tap tunes with it as it weakens them,no real over culinary uses,scramble egg I always use a whisk for scrambled egg even and fluffy ,can't do it any other way in my eyes either hot or cold pan

Scrambled egg with a whisk I will try (but only because you say so and I respect your opinion!). I tend to melt butter in a non stick frying pan and then pour the egg mix in and stir really gently with a wooden spoon. I like the curds, you see. Don't you lose that with a whisk?

Scrambled egg with a whisk I will try (but only because you say so and I respect your opinion!). I tend to melt butter in a non stick frying pan and then pour the egg mix in and stir really gently with a wooden spoon. I like the curds, you see. Don't you lose that with a whisk?
I don't like seeing curds as you say !personal thing I suppose,tends to over cook ,Lord Ramsey uses a plastic paddle and to keep it cooking regular on the stove off the stove ,remembering it carries on cooking off the heat ,fork whisk or paddle it's understanding the process

I've been dwelling on this miss use of equipment all day ,the most over used bits of kit are a rolling pin ,how many uses can you think for it and a sieve ,passing purrees or it purpose makes the best mash pushing pots through it ,I drain things through it to name a few

I don't like seeing curds as you say !personal thing I suppose,tends to over cook ,Lord Ramsey uses a plastic paddle and to keep it cooking regular on the stove off the stove ,remembering it carries on cooking off the heat ,fork whisk or paddle it's understanding the process

Don't get me wrong here. I cook scrambled egg gently and slowly, turning them with infinite care until they are creamy and curdy but in no way overcooked. I always take them off the heat before they seem quite at this stage. As you say, they carry on cooking in the hot pan. I like eggs soft and slightly undercooked by most people's standards (see omelette thread!). The worst thing for me would be overcooked scrambled eggs.

Don't get me wrong here. I cook scrambled egg gently and slowly, turning them with infinite care until they are creamy and curdy but in no way overcooked. I always take them off the heat before they seem quite at this stage. As you say, they carry on cooking in the hot pan. I like eggs soft and slightly undercooked by most people's standards (see omelette thread!). The worst thing for me would be overcooked scrambled eggs.
The most consistent way I've found is a pan on on the solid top heat with clarified butter pre beaten egg and cream,and whisk leave well under coked while finishing rest of fish off ,for me consistency is key I have various staff that have to produce it to the same standard,the plastic paddles never gave this,some larger hotels use steamers or Bain Marie's ,I can spot it big lumps of discoloured rubber ,some times turning colour. And I could never nuke it

Back
Top Bottom