Recipe Vegan Black Bean Sausages

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:41 AM
20170818_174854.jpg

Research into making vegan sausages with beans suggested that here are two important factors - you need something to bind the mixture (in this case wheat gluten) and you need fat added to avoid dryness and give the sausages ‘mouth feel’. The third thing you need to do is pack in flavour so don't stint on spices and herbs!

In this recipe the syrup adds a hint sweetness which adds complexity to the mix of smoky black beans, garlic, aromatic oregano and spicy paprika. But I’m sure that there are many ways to vary the flavours by using different herbs and spices. Next time I make these I intend to add chilli! I served the sausages sliced in a ratatouille style sauce.

Ingredients
(makes approx. 5-6 sausages)
  • 1 x 400g tin of black beans, very well drained
  • 45g minced seitan (optional - I used it for texture)
  • 35g wheat gluten
  • 4 tbsp oats or fresh breadcrumbs
  • 1 heaped tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 heaped tbsp paprika
  • 1 heaped tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp golden syrup or maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp salt (or less, to taste)
  • Ground black pepper to taste
  • 6 tbsp water
Method
  1. Mash the beans in a large bowl with a fork or potato masher. Add all the other ingredients, mixing and mashing them all together. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Knead the mixture as you would do with bread dough for about 2 minutes.
  2. Form the mixture into sausage shapes and tightly encase in cling film or foil (tying the ends of the cling film or twisting the ends of the foil.
  3. Steam the sausages for 1 hour. They are then ready to use. You can slice them and add to stews and casseroles or fry them whole.
In the steamer:
20170818_130155.jpg

Steamed and ready to use:
20170818_143621.jpg

Sliced and used in the finished dish:
20170818_174919.jpg

Last edited:
:bravo:

Wow...very impressive! There are two things that always concerned me when trying to make a vegan substitute for meat: consistency and taste. The consistency looks excellent, just like you expect a meat sausage to look. How's it taste? It certainly looks delicious.

Thank you. You should have seen my first attempt at vegan sausages. In fact, you will see it! I will post my first attempt as its really rather funny.

The taste was OK - my son and daughter thought so. Quite subtle and fragrant and a bit spicy. But I thought it needed more punch. I think there is something about both wheat gluten and oatmeal which 'blands out' flavour. I'd probably double up the garlic powder and add some chilli next time.

Back
Top Bottom