Recipe Vegan Cheese Fondue

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:06 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Until this week I hadn't thought it possible to have a dairy free cheese fondue. All my previous attempts at a vegan cheese sauce had failed to produce anything even vaguely acceptable to both my husband and I. So I was a touch uncertain about trying a totally new recipe from a totally new recipe book. As usual it got the instant makeover with respect to the spices. But despite my adaptations, the fondue tasted remarkably good. So good that hubby didn't mind having it again the following day (useful because tree reckon that the recipe servers 4), that is after I had asked him to stop eating anymore if he planned to have some tomorrow!

This recipe is based on the vegan cheese fondue recipe from the book "this cheese is nuts" by Julie Piatt, but I've changed the quantities of virtually all of the ingredients except for the cashew nuts, saffron and water.

Ingredients
250g raw cashew nuts, soaked overnight
1 heaped tbsp onion powder
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 heaped tsp mustard powder (I suggest Coleman's)
1 tsp white pepper, ground
1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
1/2 tsp sea salt, ground
2 tbsp nutritional yeast powder (if you use flakes, double the quantity generously)
1-2 tbsp brown miso paste
1 tsp saffron strands soaked in 125ml boiling water
375ml cold water
125ml refined coconut oil
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
125ml (vegan) dry white wine (optional)

Method
  1. Drain the cashew nuts and add them and all of the other ingredients except for the sherry vinegar and the white wine (unless you only want the flavour, not the alcohol content of the white wine) to your vitamix jug. Blend on low power for about 30 seconds, then slowly increase to full power and blend for 90 seconds. You want a completely smooth sauce. This is the point you can leave the fondue if you're making it in advance.
  2. Transfer the mixture to a suitable sized saucepan (my recipe made about 1.25l of sauce) and heat the sauce gently stirring all the time. You need to cook the tapioca starch, so bring the sauce to a low simmer (just starting to bubble) and simmer for about 5 mins stirring constantly. Once done and if you're adding in wine for flavour and alcohol content (!), now is the time to stir it in and bring the sauce back to a simmer.
  3. Once the starch is cooked, take it off the heat and carefully stir in the sherry vinegar and season to taste before serving.
Apologies for the photo but hubby doesn't go in for presentation and my back was hurting too much at this point for me to complain .

20190213175606_IMG_1820.JPG

Last edited:
Great ingredients - I can imagine it tastes good. Saffron, miso, mustard, wine, nutritional yeast - its an interesting combination. It looks good too (whatever you say).

Back
Top Bottom