Vegan Fish & Chips

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
11:59 AM
Seen in the call center quarter of Leeds, earlier this year. Near "The Dalek". Chip shop advertising "Vegan Fish and Chips".

No replacement for the fish, same as served to anyone else. Price being higher though. I take it their sign was wrong(costly mistake if so).

But is it possible to get vegan fish and chips?

Well obviously not as fish is by definition not vegan. Perhaps deep-fried battered marinated tofu? Wouldn't be the same though!

I think the flavour of tuna is as far as you can get with vegan flavour alternatives for fish. would seiten be a better replacement than tofu? Anyhow, chips are not always vegan either, even at chip chops. You have to watch what the oil contains sadly!

I think the flavour of tuna is as far as you can get with vegan flavour alternatives for fish. would seiten be a better replacement than tofu? Anyhow, chips are not always vegan either, even at chip chops. You have to watch what the oil contains sadly!
I haven't ever tried seitan. I'll have to investigate and see if I can obtain it.

Last edited:
thinking about it, I'm not certain if it is seiten I'm thinking about. It is probably more likely to be tempeh rather than seiten. Its not the one made from wheat gluten, its the other one. hang on...

OK, I'm back. Its tempeh I'm thinking of. Indonesian soya beans....

Came from the same place, over the the fryer, as the ones I got. Just cost £2 more. I'd asked for fish and chips.

Back
Top Bottom