Recipe Vegan Milk Pudding

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:45 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I went looking for a recipe to try for the milk/cream CookingBites ingredient challenge. I thought to myself that someone somewhere must have a milk pudding recipe, straight and simple. And they do. The Canadians have one. So I'm going to make it dairy free (for obvious reasons) and because hubby like vanilla it's going to omit the rosewater. Otherwise I'm trying it straight as it is... That is until I look at the sugar levels and rethink that idea. 125ml of sugar in a litre of any milk sounds a lot but when soya or almond milk can already contain sugar it takes on a new concept. So I'm going to omit the sugar and replace it with a couple of dates. I'll cook the dates in the unsweetened milk (can't yet decide on which of the soya, almond or coconut milk (not the tinned variety but the dairy milk replacement variety that comes in tetra packs) though right now I'm heading down the soya milk idea just because I'm in the middle of moving house, in exhausted and soya milk has a lot more protein in it than almond, coconut, brazil, hazelnut, hemp or even rice milk has.

As usual I will upload the recipe, then make it tomorrow, and review it with photos (hopefully). Mine won't be pure white because hate white sugar (even if I was using sugar) and because I'm using dates which will get liquidised into the pudding.

(Serves 4)

Ingredients
1 litre of a dairy free milk
4-8 meloja dates (to taste)
1/3 cup (50g) cornflour/cornstarch
1-3 tsp vanilla paste

Method
  1. Remove the stones from the dates and don't worry about how many pieces you end up with.
  2. Add the dates and 750ml of dairy free milk to a saucepan and bring to a simmer simmering for 5-10 minutes until the dates have softened. Take the mixture off the heat, cover with a lid and allow the milk to cool.
  3. Now put the milk and dates into a liquidiser and process until totally smooth. You want the dates to be completely pulverised.
  4. Now put the mixture through a sieve several times (3-4 at least) or a nut milk bag to eliminate any bits of dates or date skins that have not been liquidised completely. You want a totally smooth desert not one with bits in it.
  5. Add the cornflour to a bowl and mix in the remaining 250ml milk slowly to ensure no lumps.
  6. Return the sieved date milk mixture to the saucepan and mix in the cornflour solution along with the vanilla paste. Heat the mixture through stirring constantly, bringing the mixture to the boil and boiling for a couple of minutes until the thickened mixture had boiled (whilst being stirred constantly) for a couple of minutes to cook the cornflour thoroughly. If you think your mixture had gone lumpy, remember to put it through a sieve one last time.
  7. Once done, pour the mixture into your 4 serving glasses and allow it to cool before refrigerating for several hours (2-4 Hrs). If you don't want a skin forming on the top of each glass (or one large serving glass) cover the top with either clingfilm or greaseproof paper (cut to size), removing before serving.
  8. To serve decorate with a small quantity of fruit and roasted nuts such as roasted cashew nut pieces or pistachio nuts and either sultanas or pomegranate pieces.
I'll let you know how we get on later. it's based around this Canadian Milk Pudding recipe (https://www.dairygoodness.ca/recipes/everyone-s-milk-pudding)
I'm also looking at trying a Japanese version of the same dish as well.

Last edited:
I've found that Stevia works well as a sweetener when it's replacing something that provides "background" sweetness, but not so much when the point of the thing is to be SWEET. I think it would work here, depending on how sweet you like your pudding.

Coincidentally I made something similar but with vege-gel. I haven't posted it up yet. I did make a cornflour one a week or so ago but it was horrible! I think I may have used too much cornflour...

I like the idea of making a milk pudding with dates.
It does rather affect the colour of the pudding though.

I did make a cornflour one a week or so ago but it was horrible! I think I may have used too much cornflour...
I weighed out a 1/3rd of a cup of cornflour (50g) when I made up the milk pudding yesterday. It is set but not quite solid, but the pudding doesn't run to fill the gap when you remove a spoonful like custard does. You can't taste the cornflour with 50g per litre of milk.

I made it up with unsweetened soya milk (500ml), 3 dates, 1tsp vanilla extract and 25g of cornflour. I decided that it was going to make 3 servings rather than 2 so poured out into 3 Ikea children's bowls.

_20180502_134314.JPG

As was, so to speak. This was straight out of the blender. I actually preferred it hot.

_20180502_134519.JPG

Even with jam and coconut yoghurt it still needs help, lots of help to look good in a bowl. Perhaps white is the way to go with milk pudding? But I hate white sugar...

You could go completely grey like my ice-cream! I would have expected dates and brown sugar (if that is what you used) to produce a caramel coloured result, though.
I only used dates, no sugar.
It is a brownish (or rather was) colour though definitely not caramel in colour. More like the table top which is oak. I think the white balance has been thrown a touch on the tablet. It's not the best camera and the device is getting on in age now as well. Even the yellow of the child's Ikea bowl isn't as vibrant as it is in real life.

Back
Top Bottom