1 medium onion, thinly sliced (1½ cups)
1 5-oz. pkg. baby spinach leaves
1 4-oz. jar prepared pesto sauce
1 large egg
1 17.3-oz. pkg. frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 10-oz. log fresh goat cheese, softened
1 16-oz. jar prepared tomato sauce, warmed

Method
  1. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, bell peppers, and onion, and sauté 5 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add spinach, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until spinach wilts. Stir in pesto. Cool.
  2. Whisk egg in bowl, and set aside. Cut 15- x 10-inch piece of parchment paper, and set on work surface. Place 1 sheet puff pastry on parchment paper. Lift parchment with puff pastry, and place parchment-side-down in 9-inch loaf pan. Press pastry into pan, being careful not to let folds get caught in parchment and allowing excess parchment and pastry to hang over sides. Cut squares from second puff pastry sheet, and press onto short sides of parchment-covered pan to make dough shell. Prick bottom of puff pastry all over with fork.
  3. Spread goat cheese over bottom of puff pastry. Top with asparagus mixture. Fold excess puff pastry over vegetables, and brush edges with egg.
  4. Cut 91/2- x 51/2-inch piece of puff pastry from remaining sheet. Set on top of asparagus mixture, pressing to seal edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes, along with unused pastry scraps and egg.
  5. Preheat oven to 425°F, and place oven rack on second-lowest level. Brush top of Wellington with egg, and poke 2 or 3 holes in top. Cut decorative leaves and stems from remaining pastry, press onto top of Wellington, and brush with egg. Use tip of small knife to score leaves and top with decorative touches.
  6. Bake Wellington 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350°F, and bake 45 minutes more. Cool 15 minutes.
  7. Use parchment to lift Wellington from loaf pan. Remove parchment, and transfer Wellington to flat serving plate. Slice, and serve with tomato sauce.

Serves 8

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/vegetables-wellington-redux/

I have heard of beef Welington but not veggie wellington. Thanks for sharing the recipie though. It would be great if you were a vegetarian or looking to eat something different. I think anything that is put in a puff pastry is delicious anyway. That is my personal opinion.

Veggie Wellington looks fantastic and I bet it tastes just as yummy. You can't go wrong with things wrapped in puffed pastry and I really like all of the vegetables that are used for the mix. This would make a good dinner for my family and they probably would not even notice that there was no meat in it!

Back
Top Bottom