Recipe Vegetarian cheese & 'mite sausages

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:37 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I've taken this recipe from one I found on a site called notquitenigella and modified it slightly to make it vegetarian. I'm still working on a vegan version in my head, so for the time being at least there is only a vegetarian one.

I've always found that cheese and Marmite work really well together and for many years it was the only way of getting my husband to eat Marmite, so when I saw this recipe, I knew it was one for the current recipe challenge. I specially adapted this recipe with Cauldron Foods vegetarian Lincolnshire sausages in mind. These were and still are my favourite vegetarian sausages when we lived in the UK, but there is no reason as to why you can't use whatever sausage mix you prefer.

Ingredients
  • 600g vegetarian sausage mix or vegetarian sausages
  • 8oz (250g) tasty cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 slices bread, roughly torn (omit if your sausages are breadcrumb based)
  • 1 onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 egg, beaten lightly with 2tbsp milk (reserve some for glaze)
  • 1 -1 1/2 tbsp Marmite or Vegemite
  • 3 (or 4) sheets of puff pastry (size dependant)
Method
  1. If you are using vegetarian sausages with a casing on them similar to a sausage skin, extract the sausage mix from the skin and add to a bowl. otherwise just add the sausages to a bowl and break up into smaller pieces using a fork out similar.
  2. Preheat the oven to 200C (400F or Gas Mark 6).
  3. In a food processor, process the following ingredients until you have a fine crumble, the cheese, the bread slices, the onion and garlic).
  4. Mix in 1tbsp of Marmite with the egg (minus the reserved egg mixture) and add to mix in the food processor. You may or may not need all of the Marmite/Vegemite depending on the saltiness of your sausage mix.
  5. Combine the sausage mix with the cheese and bread mix ensuring it is well distributed. taste, adding more Marmite as needed. you may find using the food processor easier, but be careful not to over process the mix. Whilst you want it to hold together, you don't want a paste!
  6. Set the mixture aside in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to rest.
  7. Meanwhile, depending on the size of your puff pastry sheets, cut each sheet into half lengthways making either 6 or 8 very long rectangles.
  8. Divide your sausage mix into 6 (or 8) and place onto the rectangles down the centre of the puff pastry rectangle. You want a compact mixture, so if needed use wet hands to roll the mixture into a long thin 'dough' and place in the centre of the puff pastry. This is all going to depend on your original vegetarian sausages and what they were made of. using a little water dampen one side of the rectangle to get it to adhere to the other and roll into a sausage shape, flattening it out slightly. you want the join underneath the sausage. now cut in half to make a more sensible sized sausage!
  9. Place the sausage on to a greased baking sheet (or on parchment if you prefer) and repeat until all the sausage mix is used.
  10. Score the surface of sausage roll gently and diagonally before glazing with the reserved egg mixture and cook for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. allow to cool slightly before serving hot.

Back
Top Bottom