Recipe Vegetarian Massaman Curry Paste

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:32 PM
We are having this tonight. I couldn't find the Massaman curry paste at first so thought I was going to have to make it. Fortunately, while I was looking up the recipe, Craig found it. However, I did notice there were vegetarian versions of the curry paste recipes in our True Thai cookbook. So, vegetarian/vegan Massaman curry paste.

3 oz dried California chiles
2 cardamom pods, husked
1-1/4 tsp while cumin seeds
1-1/2 Tbsp whole coriander seed
3 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
1/4 tsp whole black peppercorns
2 whole cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large stalk lemon grass, tough outer leaves discarded, lower stalk trimmed to 3 inches and finely minced
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/3 cup chopped shallots.

Stem and seed chiles. Remove any tough ribs. Chop coarsely. Cover with hot water and soak for 30 minutes.

In a small skillet, combine the coriander, cardamom and cumin seeds, and toast over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until aromatic. Transfer spices to small bowl and cool.

Add the cooled roasted spices to a spice grinder along with peppercorns and cloves. Grind to a powder. Add cinnamon.

On a cutting board, combine ginger and lemon grass and chop even finer. Add to a food processor or use a large mortar and pestle. Also add ground spices. Pound or process until well combined.

Add garlic and shallots and process or pound until finely crushed.

Drain the chiles and reserve about 1/2 cup soaking liquid. Add chiles and peanut butter and process or pound, adding some of the reserved liquid as needed to aid in processing/grinding to form a paste.

Store in refrigerator up to a month, in freezer up to 3 months.

The author of the book replaces the shrimp paste with peanut butter in all of his curry paste recipes to make them vegetarian/Vegan.

Mod Edit: copied from this thread https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/chicken-massaman-curry.12717/#post-129560

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom