• 8 cloves garlic minced
• 2 pounds ground venison
• 1 (15.5 ounce) cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
• 1 Can of black beans drsined and rinsed
• 2 (10 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
• 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
• Shredded cheese, sour cream, and scallions for serving, optional

Instructions
  1. Heat oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until vegetables have softened, 7 to 10 minutes.
  2. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add venison and cook, breaking up the clumps with a spoon, until the venison is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
  3. Stir in kidney beans, tomatoes, and tomato puree. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
  4. Remove lid and continue to simmer for 30 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  5. Serve with preferred toppings including cheese, sour cream, and scallions.
20180413_191904.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice - I make chilli quite often but not with venison. I imagine the flavour would be very good.

• 1/4 cup chili powder

I'm a chilli head but if I used this much of my hot chilli powder then I think there could be issues. I think though that chilli powder in the US may be milder than in the UK.

Our chili powder is mild. I ended up adding done crushed red pepper add well.

This is actually for my pre game dinner tomorrow night. I'll serve it with sliced jalapenos , sour cream, cheese, and green onions.

It depends on what time I get home from my second job today whether or not we make chili. Karen makes her version with beans and I make mine Texas style without beans. I usually use pure chili powders to make "chili powder" and add whole canned chipotles with some of the adobo.

Back
Top Bottom