Recipe Violet Cauliflower Potato Non Dairy Creamed Soup

Francesca

Local time
12:22 AM
After seeing 2 gorgeous violet carrot récipes ( Morning Glory & My Pinch of Italy), I had recalled that I had seen some Violet - Orchid colored Cauliflower in the La Mercat de La Boqueria and I had become inspired to create a non dairy creamed soup

Photo Copyright: Francesca Guillamet.

CAULIFLOWER20170124_131143_3.jpg
Photo Inspiration.

Violet Cauliflower Potato non dairy creamed Soup ..

Here is a suggested récipe I had found online @: http://food52.com

I shall definitely be trying this ..

Recipe:

1 Large violet cauliflower
1 or 2 potatoes ( to substitute cream, I use 1 large or 2 potatoes to give a thick creamy texture )
2 small shallots minced
Salt to taste
A light Evoo or Salad Evoo
smoked paprika or Pimentón
3 or 4 cups of homenade vegetable stock or broth

Method:

1) Wash and slice the cauliflower into small "wedges" / pieces
2) Mince the shallots and the garlic.
3) Heat a Little Evoo ( 2 or 3 tablsps. ) and sauté the shallots just until soft .
4) Stir to coat the cauliflower with the Evoo. ( 3 -5 minutes) on a very low simmer.
5) season with salt ..
6) Now add the minced garlic, and then cook the cauliflower for approx .. 25 mins. in the broth with the boiled, peeled and diced potato ..
7) Taste check for salt .. Add more if necessary ..
8) When ready drain the cauliflower with the diced potatoes and shallots and garlic and reserve the broth ..
9) Re salt and when cooler, add in batches to purée in a Food Processor .. Add the broth slowly to the Food Processor ..
10 ) Now reheat the soup until hot ..
11) Ladle in bowls and sprinkle with Smoked Paprika --

Serve with rustic crusty whole grain bread or a baguette and a Rosé wine which pairs perfectly with cauliflower .. Or a Rosé Cava or Rosé Prosecco or other Rosé Sparkling wine of choice ..

Last edited:
I just realized something: when I'm making creamy soups, I typically use potatoes, along with half-and-half. For example, my Broccoli Smoked Gouda Soup. But, I'm not sure how much of a difference half a cup of half-and-half made. I could probably omit the half-and-half and not notice a difference. Of course, there's still a massive amount of gouda, so it's far from non-dairy.

@morning glory & @The Late Night Gourmet

I am travelling in the Basque Country until the 20th and then I shall be going on a local trip up the Costa Brava and across the Pyrenées to Carcassone, France on the 23rd to the 31st ..

So, in September, I shall prepare this and take a photo and post it !

Have a lovely summer .. Thanks again ..

I just realized something: when I'm making creamy soups, I typically use potatoes, along with half-and-half. For example, my Broccoli Smoked Gouda Soup. But, I'm not sure how much of a difference half a cup of half-and-half made. I could probably omit the half-and-half and not notice a difference. Of course, there's still a massive amount of gouda, so it's far from non-dairy.

@The Late Night Gourmet,

If you can, if you like smoked cheeses, you should try to get some "San Simon from Lugo, Galicia, Spain" ..

They export it to North America .. It is stored in wooden boxes in traditional method and it is amazing ..

Broccoli makes a lovely creamed soup too and so does courgette ( zucchini ) with leek.

@The Late Night Gourmet,

If you can, if you like smoked cheeses, you should try to get some "San Simon from Lugo, Galicia, Spain" ..

They export it to North America .. It is stored in wooden boxes in traditional method and it is amazing ..

Broccoli makes a lovely creamed soup too and so does courgette ( zucchini ) with leek.
I've never heard of this, so thank you for sharing. Does it have similar properties (melting, firmness, etc) to Gouda, or something else?

merco-queso-san-simon-ahumado-03-600x600.jpg

@The Late Night Gourmet:

This Galician cow cheese is obtained from the " Rubia Gallega Raza de Vacas " = The Galician Blonde Cow Breed, or the Parda Alpina, or the Friesians cow breeds ..

The cheese is 100 % raw cow milk pasteruized and the designation or origin is: Vilalba, Lugo, Galicia in north eastern Galicia ..

Vila = Maison / Mansion
Alba = Dawn

The flavor profile: Smoked Birch with a velvety smoothness and the cheese is a Semi Hard type ..

Melting Point: It is similar to Swiss Gruyere in its melting point ..

The conicals: Weigh between 800 grams and 1.5 kilos ..

The height of the Conicals: approx. 15 - 18 centimetres ..

The Fat Content: 45 -60 % depending on the dairy farmer .. or the producer ..

When I was in Lugo, we drove the 15 minutes to Vilalba to a tiny boutique dairy producer of San Simone and one could smell the burnt birch .. The cheese is packaged at this level in birch boxes .. It was extraordinary ..

I make grill cheese sándwiches with it .. To die for !!! I use Galician Hogaza, a large circular rustic bread and slice it in quarters .. Some French butter 82 % fat or Asturian Butter ( very French in style ) and grll in butter, and put a weight on the sándwich. I pair with tomato however, one can use Iberian Ham or Prosciutto .. It is also scrumptous with a drizzle of honey !!! And of course this cheese pairs best with a White Wine, 100% Godello Grape of Lugo Designation .. So, a Spanish White wine .. Also, White wine cuts the fat content of rich cheeses .. ( The acid ) ..

It is most wonderful in a cheese board for the smoked selection ..

Have a wonderful day and summer ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom