Washing Chicken

My dog won't touch raw chicken or raw ground beef. He is very picky.
Mine seems to prefer raw chicken or beef, although the commercial dog food (Forthglade) I get is steamed and he has that with greyhound kibble which even for retired racers is higher in protein than most other dog foods. Having said that, he will eat anything. His favourite breakfast is whey pancakes stuffed with yoghurt and blueberries. He has yoghurt with his breakfast every day, and he won't let me forget it. Greyhounds are much more creatures of habit than most other dogs - something to do with the way they are trained, I think.

Mine seems to prefer raw chicken or beef, although the commercial dog food (Forthglade) I get is steamed and he has that with greyhound kibble which even for retired racers is higher in protein than most other dog foods. Having said that, he will eat anything. His favourite breakfast is whey pancakes stuffed with yoghurt and blueberries. He has yoghurt with his breakfast every day, and he won't let me forget it. Greyhounds are much more creatures of habit than most other dogs - something to do with the way they are trained, I think.
You haven't met many chihuahuas have you? They are the same way.

You haven't met many chihuahuas have you? They are the same way.
I have met many Chihuahuas - just like Yorkshire terriers in my opinion. I did know of someone who had 19 - she used to drive them all over to the local park and let them loose. They savaged a GSD who had to be put down. Our local pub used to have a GSD and a Chihuahua - the GSD was a big softie..... I am afraid I am not a Chihuahua fan - apart from the fact that I can trip over a greyhound and would probably squash one so small.

I have met many Chihuahuas - just like Yorkshire terriers in my opinion. I did know of someone who had 19 - she used to drive them all over to the local park and let them loose. They savaged a GSD who had to be put down. Our local pub used to have a GSD and a Chihuahua - the GSD was a big softie..... I am afraid I am not a Chihuahua fan - apart from the fact that I can trip over a greyhound and would probably squash one so small.
I am not a fan of untrained "any breed". I know exactly where you are coming from. The neighbor's chihuahua used to try to torment my very well trained (most of the time, he decided to roam a bit today, he went next door) chihuahua. Their chihuahua ended up like most dogs that are allowed to run loose.
Cinnamon is a big chihuahua. He is 11 lbs.

It seems that a lot of people still believe washing chicken is hygienic. In fact the opposite is true. In the UK some supermarket chickens are now labelled 'do not wash'. Personally, I've never done so and was surprised to find that some people still do this.

Do you still wash chicken?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27864423
I would have never deemed this necessary.

I am not a fan of untrained "any breed". I know exactly where you are coming from. The neighbor's chihuahua used to try to torment my very well trained (most of the time, he decided to roam a bit today, he went next door) chihuahua. Their chihuahua ended up like most dogs that are allowed to run loose.
Cinnamon is a big chihuahua. He is 11 lbs.
My dog's a tad heavier at about 70 lbs

Yes. Although I don't if she's not watching.

She doesn't wash my steaks.

She caught me preparing to dissect pork ribs the other day and jumped in to wash them first.

Feom what I've gathered, one of the reasons chickens has a higher chance of contamination is because of its anatomy and the butchering process.

Because if the pkacement as well as delicate nature of their organs, it's much easier to pierce the internal organs when butchering them. Therefore, they have a greater chance of the various disgusting things (literally) to spread to the flesh as opposed to 4 legged creatures and fish.

My wife washes everything. Even if it isn't necessary. No one has ever gotten sick eating at our house, so I've given up thinking about it.

I rinse any blood or juices off turkey or chicken in the sink, and pat dry with paper towels. Never have gotten ill. I don't use soap though LOL. For some reason, rotisserie chickens I have bought at the market, have always tasted like soap.

Last edited:
My wife washes everything. Even if it isn't necessary. No one has ever gotten sick eating at our house, so I've given up thinking about it.
I rinse all fowl, whole or pieces. Don't rinse other meat.
I rinse any blood or juices off turkey or chicken in the sink,

It does seem that chicken washing is still widespread in the US. I think I mentioned before that here chicken in the UK is labelled with warnings telling people NOT to wash it. Certainly, any restaurant in the UK found doing this would be severely dealt with. Its totally against H&S regs.

What I don't quite get is why wash chicken and not other meat? And what is being achieved by washing it? Washing something in cold water doesn't kill germs or bacteria. In fact its more likely to spread them, hence the warnings.

It does seem that chicken washing is still widespread in the US. I think I mentioned before that here chicken in the UK is labelled with warnings telling people NOT to wash it. Certainly, any restaurant in the UK found doing this would be severely dealt with. Its totally against H&S regs.

What I don't quite get is why wash chicken and not other meat? And what is being achieved by washing it? Washing something in cold water doesn't kill germs or bacteria. In fact its more likely to spread them, hence the warnings.

Maybe this?

From what I've gathered, one of the reasons chickens has a higher chance of contamination is because of its anatomy and the butchering process.

Because if the placement as well as delicate nature of their organs, it's much easier to pierce the internal organs when butchering them. Therefore, they have a greater chance of the various disgusting things.(literally) to spread to the flesh as opposed to 4 legged creatures and fish

Maybe this?

OK - but I'm not totally convinced by that argument. I wonder what restaurant H&S regs are in the US regarding this?

Also, given that virtually all US chickens are chlorine washed then I assume that is going to kill off bacteria anyway.

There are the same recommendations here about not washing, and I've seen the labels showing up on packaging recently.

Back
Top Bottom