Ways to become a better cook

Local time
6:26 AM
Who doesn't want to be a better cook? I sure do and I am always looking for ways to improve my cooking. Fresh out of talking about getting my cooking groove back and while looking for some parsnip recipes for the the Challenge, I stumbled on this very interesting read referencing 38 ways to become a better cook in 2016. I actually like a lot of what I read. Here is the link and I'd be happy to know what you think about the suggestions.
http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/38-ways-to-be-a-better-cook-in-2016-article

I thought No.4 would be the one for you @winterybella :laugh:. Seriously though, its not a bad list. Most of it I do already and the bits I don't do are because they aren't things I want to do. But I can see that it could be inspirational for some. Maybe the list is a bit long though? It might be a bit daunting for some people.

I smiled at #4 because I knew it had my name written all over it. Only yesterday I pinned another simple bread recipe I found online. It is long but I couldn't help but share as I found it so simple, interesting and relatable. Of course things like deep frying, making my own hummus and other things related to burgers won't really interest me but still it never hurts to know what the 'experts' think makes a great cook, fresh out of calling myself a chef.

Last edited:
This is a great read and a great list. Thank you for sharing. I just recently purchased a new knife set and block so I am really excited about. Finally some nice sharp knives to work with. :)

Some people will never be able to cook,some can organise some can't ,many can follow a recipe and bake ,some have all the gear and no idea,I see chefs that I have to put my finger up to see if they are moving,passion ,skills and knowledge and interest with good ingredients and you will be on your way

But will we ever reach a point where so many people realise that cooking your own food is not only healthier and better, but also a great deal cheaper than buying takeaways and processed bilge?

But will we ever reach a point where so many people realise that cooking your own food is not only healthier and better, but also a great deal cheaper than buying takeaways and processed bilge?
I am quite ready for that stage. Sadly I am starving myself some days to avoid buying food that I have no idea how it has been prepared. For me is it going to be about proper planning.

I tend to agree but it does depend on quite how poor you are. I can't make a home made pizza for example, anywhere nearly as cheaply as I can buy one. Granted that my pizza is better, but... for 89p you can buy a 'stone baked' pepperoni pizza in Aldi. I can see that for most people on a really low income that would be seen as a good buy. Otherwise they would need to buy bread flour, yeast, tomato passata, mozarella and pepperoni. This particular pizza also has Monteray Jack and cheddar. A packet of grated mozarella in Aldis is £1.39 and might just do two pizzas. So the cheese alone is going to cost nearly as much as the whole Aldi pizza, let alone all the other ingredients.

I tend to agree but it does depend on quite how poor you are. I can't make a home made pizza for example, anywhere nearly as cheaply as I can buy one. Granted that my pizza is better, but... for 89p you can buy a 'stone baked' pepperoni pizza in Aldi. I can see that for most people on a really low income that would be seen as a good buy. Otherwise they would need to buy bread flour, yeast, tomato passata, mozarella and pepperoni. This particular pizza also has Monteray Jack and cheddar. A packet of grated mozarella in Aldis is £1.39 and might just do two pizzas. So the cheese alone is going to cost nearly as much as the whole Aldi pizza, let alone all the other ingredients.

I was thinking more about things like stews, soups, chillis, curries and the kind of meals that you can make pretty quickly doing little more than flinging some vegetables into a pot.

For me I think that in order for you to become a better cook is first you must really had that passion for cooking and everything else will follow and will fall into places. Because if without this kind of emotion how can you will get the inspiration and the determination to be a better cook.

Back
Top Bottom