Wedding cake recipe request.

Pete

Über Member
Local time
10:59 PM
Right. Here we go. @morning glory and everyone else.

No1 daughter has honoured me with the request that I bake her wedding cake for her!
I can do 'cake' but need suggestions, and recipes, that will please everyone.
I'm open to ideas, but the following are the criteria:

It's going to be 3 tier. Probably 12", 9" and 6" (or 12 - 10 - 8, to be decided later)

12" Base layer: fruit cake, no nuts, spirits or spices, certainly not cinnamon.
9" Middle layer: Definitely a Gluten Free sponge. (I was thinking of 3 layers, with jam and a firm creamy filling)
6" Top layer: Probably chocolate cake, but I'm open to alternative suggestions on this.

It will be iced, but I'm not sure yet if it will be soft or solid icing. I'm not doing the 'decorating', that's her job.

If it could all be Gluten Free, it'd be a bonus, but that's not totally important.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is for the recipe, and quantities for the baking thereof.
I also need to make a smaller version (of the fruit cake only) first for approval.

Over to you :)

Will the gluten free work with the other cakes or will there be some cross contamination of gluten?
Don't forget the fondant. And please put the cake in something stable to transport. The best man's lap is not a good idea if there are any turns between point A and point B.
Good luck and allow plenty of time between baking and frosting.
Congrats on getting a son-in-law.

If the whole thing could be gluten free, it'd be good, but if not, I reckon the cross contamination would be minimal, and not be an issue. And thanks for the tip re baking and frosting!
Luckily, the transport will not be my problem :happy:

120d0a5e303f3a5cfe2362c44cb76a2d.jpg 3-Tier-Topsy-Turvy-Ivory-Wedding-Cake-with-White-Orchids.jpg

You're making me think about the prospect of the cake I've been asked to make for my son's wedding. Feeling seriously scared and I suppose I should be practicing too! Transport is going to be a problem too.

Good luck with yours. When is the wedding?

I've never made a wedding cake before. But I think that you can use almost ANY cake recipe to do it. You might have to double the recipe though, depending on how many guests will show up for the reception.

Getting a head count would help, so that you will know how much to make. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does the fruit layer not have to include nuts, spices or spirits? Or cinnamon. It doesn't leave a lot of scope...

Wedding & birthday cakes look very pretty & elegant They are the signature centerpiece of the event/party.
Only one thing that I have a problem about them. Too much bloody frosting!! Can't eat that. Too much!

I can make plain cakes and those with drip icing, or decorated with powdered sugar - even a little frosting. But a cake with a ton of frosting, no. I'll eat out the layers of cake and leave most of the frosting standing!!.:headshake::stop:

Wedding & birthday cakes look very pretty & elegant They are the signature centerpiece of the event/party.
Only one thing that I have a problem about them. Too much bloody frosting!! Can't eat that. Too much!

I can make plain cakes and those with drip icing, or decorated with powdered sugar - even a little frosting. But a cake with a ton of icing, no. I'll eat out the layers of cake and leave most of the frosting.:headshake::stop:

I agree.

Thank you, my deadline is July. Loads of time! :eek:

Good luck with yours.
July for me too. I'm impressed with your planning! Two layers, bottom layer will be a rich fruit cake that I will probably make in the Easter holidays but the top layer of sponge cake is the one I'm worried about because of needing to make it at the last minute but we're all travelling to the wedding destination 2 days before the wedding.

Why does the fruit layer not have to include nuts, spices or spirits? Or cinnamon. It doesn't leave a lot of scope...
I'm slightly nut allergic, and my daughter doesn't like spices, esp cinnamon, in cakes.
By 'Spirits' I mean whisky, brandy etc, but I'm thinking of using Port to soak the fruit in to add a bit of a boost.

Back
Top Bottom