Wedding cake recipe request.

I've got strong arms... :laugh:

I don't doubt that, but.....

Don't you think that it would be easier, better & faster If you made ALL of the cake batter for all 3 of the tiers at the same time, instead of separately? The frosting also?
The way that the recipe looks, it sounds like you'll have your work cut out for you.

Just trying to help. :wink:

Last edited:
I don't doubt that, but.....

Don't you think that it would be easier, better & faster If you made ALL of the cake batter for all 3 of the tiers at the same time, instead of separately? The frosting also?
The way that the recipe looks, it sounds like you'll have your work cut out for you.

Just trying to help. :wink:
Not since he is making 3 different cakes.
Classic is the one that posted the traditional wedding cake recipe.

Plan 'B'.
On conferring with No1 daughter today, it turns out that Gluten Free is not a necessity.
That will make things easier, I reckon.

That does make things easier. The fruit cake can be made well ahead of time and allowed to mature (like a Christmas Cake). The sponge will obviously need to be made nearer the time. As for the chocolate cake - it will depend what kind. I think some keep quite well. But I'm not a cake expert.

Plan 'B'.
On conferring with No1 daughter today, it turns out that Gluten Free is not a necessity.

I might do as suggested by @Shermie though, and make a 'spare' cake just in case.

Thanks!

If it doesn't get eaten, it can always be put in the freezer. :wink:

Plan 'B'.

I might do as suggested by @Shermie though, and make a 'spare' cake just in case.
If the gluten free doesn't have to be nut free, then this is stunning and wonderful. I'm dairy free, you can make it with dairy if you want, but it's nice to have a vegan option available as well. I'll work on that for you. I know some stunners. I also have a vegan, gluten free chocolate sponge as well..

Time and again I go to functions and can't touch anything. I hate it and now try to avoid them. I really respect people who have something vegan I can have!

But start with this...
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/dairy-free-gluten-free-lemon-polenta-cake.331/

Thanks for that SNSSO.
Nut free is still necessary but I'll check out the link for the lemon polenta cake.
:)
so even the gluten free, (potentially vegan) one has to also be nut free?

I know I used to have issues with peanuts which thankfully I grew out of (same issue as above). Is it any particular nut that needs to be avoided? Are there any that can be used is what I am really trying to get at. There could be alternatives, but if you could expand a touch more... or could you have a 4th available as a vegan option that could be reserved and not nut free? (If you wanted gluten free at the same time as a vegan that is.... It is very easy to do amazing vegan cakes that are not gluten free, I was just trying to cover all bases and still have something that I know is an excellent cake for you).

I avoid nuts. They make me feel queasy or sick. I know cashew nuts are one I definitely have to avoid, :yuck:but others just don't sit right on my stomach!
The vegan option is not one that I think I need to worry about, but I'll check with my daughter later.

Hello Pete.
What do you think to "overturn" ( not literaly, hahaha) the layers? I mean: base layer chocolate frosting flavored with fruits. middle: cream or Jam. The top: fruits with some chocolate chips ( maybe also with some little meringues).
Ciao

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Pete.
What do you think to "overturn" ( not literaly, hahaha) the layers? I mean: base layer chocolate frosting flavored with fruits. middle: cream or Jam. The top: fruits with some chocolate chips ( maybe also with some little meringues).
Ciao
It's up to my daughter, I'm just the cook! I'll suggest it to her, thanks.

First 'base layer' trial, baked in a 7" tin.

INGREDIENTS:

1 x 20cm x 7.5cm high round tin
575g currants
225g sultanas
225g raisins
60ml Port
60g glace cherries
60g mixed peel
275g plain flour
½ tsp salt
275g soft brown sugar
1 tbsp black treacle
275g unsalted butter
300g egg (about 5 large eggs)
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 large orange

METHOD
Two days before baking, put the fruit and peel in a large bowl and cover with the Port. Leave to soak for 48 hours.
Heat up your oven to 120°C on a fan-assisted oven, or 140° on a regular oven (gas mark 1).
Sift the dry ingredients (flour and salt) together in a large bowl.
Cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about five minutes in a stand mixer).
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each one. If the mix starts to curdle, add a teaspoon of flour with each egg.
Fold in the dry ingredients (flour and salt).
Add the soaked fruit and peel, treacle and lemon and orange zest.
Tip: heat a metal spoon in boiling water before using it to measure out the treacle. The treacle will slide easily off the spoon.
Pour the mixture into a lined cake tin. Wrap the outside of the tin with brown paper and tie. Cover the top of the cake with a double layer of greaseproof paper with a small hole cut out of the middle.

Bake until cooked (approx 4 hrs for a 20cm cake, 3 hrs for a 15cm cake or 5 ½ hrs for a 25cm cake).

IMG_0886.JPG

Squared off..

IMG_0887.JPG

And iced..

Quite moist and tasty, despite the lack of spices. A similar recipe should mature nicely.

:)

Back
Top Bottom