Wedding cake recipe request.

First 'base layer' trial, baked in a 7" tin.

INGREDIENTS:

1 x 20cm x 7.5cm high round tin
575g currants
225g sultanas
225g raisins
60ml Port
60g glace cherries
60g mixed peel
275g plain flour
½ tsp salt
275g soft brown sugar
1 tbsp black treacle
275g unsalted butter
300g egg (about 5 large eggs)
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 large orange

METHOD
Two days before baking, put the fruit and peel in a large bowl and cover with the Port. Leave to soak for 48 hours.
Heat up your oven to 120°C on a fan-assisted oven, or 140° on a regular oven (gas mark 1).
Sift the dry ingredients (flour and salt) together in a large bowl.
Cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about five minutes in a stand mixer).
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each one. If the mix starts to curdle, add a teaspoon of flour with each egg.
Fold in the dry ingredients (flour and salt).
Add the soaked fruit and peel, treacle and lemon and orange zest.
Tip: heat a metal spoon in boiling water before using it to measure out the treacle. The treacle will slide easily off the spoon.
Pour the mixture into a lined cake tin. Wrap the outside of the tin with brown paper and tie. Cover the top of the cake with a double layer of greaseproof paper with a small hole cut out of the middle.

Bake until cooked (approx 4 hrs for a 20cm cake, 3 hrs for a 15cm cake or 5 ½ hrs for a 25cm cake).

View attachment 5567

Squared off..

View attachment 5568

And iced..

Quite moist and tasty, despite the lack of spices. A similar recipe should mature nicely.

:)
:thankyou:

Thanks folks. It's my adaptation of a recipe I saw in the Telegraph newspaper from 2014.
Out went the brandy, nuts and spices. Soaking the fruit in a decent Port really made a difference I think.

I smeared sieved marmalade over the cake to make the icing stick. I'll use a bit less next time!

It will need making 6 weeks in advance to allow it to mature. The other two layers will be a baked few days before.

:)

I stopped biting my nails the day after my cake was made for our son's wedding! The fruit cake I made for the bottom layer was amazing and although half of it was left on the day of the wedding, by Monday when everyone was departing , some taking wedding cake with them for relatives who didn't come , there was very little left. For the top layer , after a bit of trial and error and lots of googling for tips, I made a vanilla madeira cake which was also popular. I actually made 6 madeira cakes on the Tuesday before the wedding,wrapped them up well, drove down to Suffolk on the Wednesday and iced them on the Thursday with help from my sister and Miss K using our friend's dining room table. They had jam and vanilla buttercream spread in the middle and then they were covered in marzipan and fondant icing. Due to my very basic icing skills as well as a lack of time and space, all the madiera cakes were covered in ready rolled marzipan and icing. Because you can buy it to fit an 8 inch cake I deliberately made the cakes 8 inch! Then the cakes had a purple ribbon ( matching the theme of the wedding) attached around the sides and on the wedding day itself the florist put a posy of flowers on top of the two main wedding cakes. And then I breathed a very big sigh of relief!

I will add some pictures later...

I stopped biting my nails the day after my cake was made for our son's wedding! The fruit cake I made for the bottom layer was amazing and although half of it was left on the day of the wedding, by Monday when everyone was departing , some taking wedding cake with them for relatives who didn't come , there was very little left. For the top layer , after a bit of trial and error and lots of googling for tips, I made a vanilla madeira cake which was also popular. I actually made 6 madeira cakes on the Tuesday before the wedding,wrapped them up well, drove down to Suffolk on the Wednesday and iced them on the Thursday with help from my sister and Miss K using our friend's dining room table. They had jam and vanilla buttercream spread in the middle and then they were covered in marzipan and fondant icing. Due to my very basic icing skills as well as a lack of time and space, all the madiera cakes were covered in ready rolled marzipan and icing. Because you can buy it to fit an 8 inch cake I deliberately made the cakes 8 inch! Then the cakes had a purple ribbon ( matching the theme of the wedding) attached around the sides and on the wedding day itself the florist put a posy of flowers on top of the two main wedding cakes. And then I breathed a very big sigh of relief!

I am looking forward to pictures! It sounds like you did really well.

Meanwhile here is the madeira cake recipe: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/vanilla-madiera-cake-perfect-for-decorating.10790/

Eventually..... here it is :) Apologies for my tardiness! Recipe and more photos here: Wedding cake

cake.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom