Weird Geography #3 - Place Names.

Shadow

Sommelier
Local time
5:24 PM
storrington; via montreal, horsham, toronto
Does anyone know where the original Las Vegas is, or comes from, or what it means?

Does it derive from something spanish/mexican?

What I do know is that the place in Nevada is not the original - which I'm sure will not surprise too many people. There is a Las Vegas in New Mexico which was established as a city at least 70 years before the one in the dessert was even on its way to becoming the disneyland-for-adults it is today.

If you want some really weird place names then the UK excels!
Here's a village near where I live:
_60784746_prattsbottom_annebyrne.jpg

The UK is full of such names - Pity Me and Spittle in the street are just two local to me, not to mention Washington [although it seems a little smaller than it does on the telly].

Within 50 miles ride from home I have the piddle valley ,scratchy bottom,sandy balls and "............
image.jpg
The sign is this big as it kept getting stolen

That's the newer one though!
Quite.
The Spanish Trail started in Santa Fe which is about 60 miles to the west of the 'original' Las Vegas. Therefore, I think it is unlikely the traders knew of the 'original' LV. As for the naming, it is possible. Is it likely another mexican/spanish trader/explorer was wandering around New Mexico a few years earlier and came across some meadows and thought we'll call this place Las Vegas?
In 1900, LV in NV had a population of 20. LV in NM had been established as a city by then for 60+ years.

Back
Top Bottom