What 2 foodstuffs are you always running out of? Which item lasts the longest?

Local time
7:17 PM
Do you find that they are certain items that you buy at the grocery store more than any other items, because you tend to run out of these items rather quickly? The 2 items that I run out of the most and am always buying, are milk and bread. This tells me that we use these items on a daily basis more than any other item. I would say that eggs, butter and oil, tie for second place where this is concerned. These are very basic items to have in any kitchen and always end up on my grocery list.

The longest lasting item for me would have to be salt since it is an item which would be used only sparingly. Since other seasonings are also used to flavour food, there is no need to use a whole lot of salt.

What are you always buying, and what lasts the longest for you?

Beer and wine. :D

Then you and my husband can live together. Right about now that would be helpful:happy:, Like Caribbean girl I run out of milk and bread as well but I am almost okay with that especially the bread. When I don't have it I am fine, but it turns up and I can eat it all in one go. Anyway what matters most to me is not running out of onions. I always have to keep an eye on those. As the come in, they keep going. When I don't have them, I don't want to be in the kitchen period.

I guess copying from Caribbean, salt is always around.

We're always running out of milk and butter.
My boyfriend's favourite snack is cereal and milk and between that and all the baking I do, I end up making a lot of last minute runs to the corner store.
We go through a lot of eggs and flour as well, and I feel like I'm constantly buying parchment paper!
Things that seem to last the longest are spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. I guess those are flavour profiles I don't use very often.
I also clearly don't use brown sugar often enough because it always ends up getting all hard and dry.

Then you and my husband can live together. Right about now that would be helpful:happy:, Like Caribbean girl I run out of milk and bread as well but I am almost okay with that especially the bread. When I don't have it I am fine, but it turns up and I can eat it all in one go. Anyway what matters most to me is not running out of onions. I always have to keep an eye on those. As the come in, they keep going. When I don't have them, I don't want to be in the kitchen period.

I guess copying from Caribbean, salt is always around.

I'm with you on the onions. Use them all the time and they do run out frequently. I'm lucky. I've got an Aldi at the end of my road. Aldi is a cut-price supermarket. It good for fresh vegetables and all basic stuff like bread, eggs, oil, - so if I run out of something, I just send one of this lot here to get it. Sometimes I even go myself!

We're always running out of milk and butter.
My boyfriend's favourite snack is cereal and milk and between that and all the baking I do, I end up making a lot of last minute runs to the corner store.
We go through a lot of eggs and flour as well, and I feel like I'm constantly buying parchment paper!
Things that seem to last the longest are spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. I guess those are flavour profiles I don't use very often.
I also clearly don't use brown sugar often enough because it always ends up getting all hard and dry.

There is a problem with parchment paper... once you start using it (I never used to) you seem to get through yards and yards of it. Its a bit the same with kitchen roll.

I am always running out of sugar and spices. I use them a lot but never understand how fast they go.

Eggs and yogurt.

The eggs are a no-brainer because my family eats it a lot during breakfast, it's considered a staple food at my home. I also use it for baking so now we buy 3 dozen eggs just to last the week. We're all very health conscious in my home and currently yogurt is a big obsession so we have to buy it by the bucket full. It can be used in cooking Greek cuisine as well as cold desserts. I usually chop up some fruit (strawberries, mangoes) and they dig in with the spoon and yogurt at the ready. :)

I am such a stock piler, I can't really think of anything except filtered water, which I have to get every couple of days because out tap water isn't good.

I usually have a months supply of everything I really need stores in dry storage or the freezer.

I go thru bread and lunch meats/cheeses like crazy. A half a pound of ham or turkey or sharp cheddar or provolone will disappear in our house by the end of the day, easily. I'm just as guilty of eating a bunch of these myself, but we all snack on sandwiches constantly between meals and late at night. Even when we're not making sandwiches, we're often making toast at least.

Eggs we go through like crazy too, since every morning there are about 5 of us eating at least two eggs, so that's at least 10 eggs a day right there. We buy the really large packs of them from either Wal-Mart of GFS though, to help cut back on our trips to the store to get them.

As for items that will last a relatively long time - I would say mostly they are condiments. Fish Sauce would probably be at the top of the list of things which have been in our fridge forever, but that's for a good reason - since you only need a few drops of that stuff, because of how pungent it is.

In my house it is always milk and juice. In fact I need to go to the store today to get more.

With me it is juice and fruit. For some reason I am always running out of both. Milk sometimes too. Oh, and cat food. My cat has gone on strike against dry food so I find myself having to buy wet food all the time. Well, he is just gonna have to go back to liking dry food again!

We are always running out of milk, cheese, and lunch meat. With 4 lunches to make each day these items are something I am always going shopping for. As for things that we normally have in stock, that would be pasta, pasta sauce, and coffee. I purchase these items when they are on sale and I always get them in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom