What am I making (2)?

As it turns out, the U.S. has banned the importation of animal lung (key haggis ingredient) from the UK since 1971 because lungs have previously been found to contain an array of scary bacteria.

Us Brits and Scots are clearly made of strong stuff :wink:

I appreciate other countries have import rules and regulations.

I find it odd that none of the migrants make their own from locally grown animals?

Here in Australia there are Scots that make & sell haggis in their own butcher shops. Obviously from local ingredients. My sisters second husband was Scottish & she used to go to a butcher shop that sold a lot of Scotch delicacies including IRN BRU.

And isn't haggis simmered forever then roasted?

I missed this.

And also "What am I making (1)?" apparently.

I missed this.

And also "What am I making (1)?" apparently.

One way not to miss new posts is to click on New Posts in the green toolbar and cast your eye down the list. It shows the most recent post which you haven't read in all threads. It only shows the most recent post so there can be ones you haven't read earlier in the thread.

@The Late Night Gourmet
Is it totally banned or banned from restaurants and prepared foods? Possibly available from butchers or stockyards?
Not imported but locally sourced. Do you know people in Chicago? Beef country and stock yards. Closer to you than to me.
It seems that the sale of lung is illegal in the US, but I could ask my local butcher about it. To be honest, it's not something I'm going to try that hard to find, but the fact that I can't have it makes me want it even more. :laugh:

I have had haggis before...at a pub in Edinburgh. It was incredibly tasty. The next day, my wife and I were both really sick, but that might have been due to the excessive number of beers we drank. :cheers:

Let me know if you find a source. I remember when Blood Sausage and Blood Boudin could be purchased from local butchers. I also remember my old great aunts and uncles making those products. I have not seen either in years. Maybe if you have a good friend who has a slaughter house. One of G's friends used to raise pigs and cattle. He made blood sausage and blood boudin. Sadly he only raises chickens. Well not so sad - we get eggs.:laugh:
http://www.foodireland.com/p/spi203.html

Back
Top Bottom