What are your favorite Cheeses ?

@buckytom

Sounds like a wonderful cheese board is on the Menu. In the Mediterranean, particularly France, Spain, Italy and Greece, cheese is a food course served after the main course ..

However, I find that too too much for me, so I serve it at lunch time as an appetiser and then a simple Green salad ( rocket / arugula or rucola with radicchio follow) .. That is more than enough for us ..

Pleased to hear all about your lovely trip.

The Amish are astute business people and perhaps the best farmers in the USA ..

And however, amongst their own, they have severe punishments for those who disobey their puritanical beliefs and way of life ..

A Non Amish person would rarely come into contact with this ..

Have a wonderful July 4th ..

I usually buy a good strong extra mature cheddar for day to day use, and make my own paneer and ricotta. Otherwise, I like Stilton (and other blue cheeses), Wensleydale, and feta, and various goat's cheeses and British brie.

I obtained this from my foreign food supplier recently. I've yet to try it.

irish cheddar s.jpg

I usually buy a good strong extra mature cheddar for day to day use, and make my own paneer and ricotta. Otherwise, I like Stilton (and other blue cheeses), Wensleydale, and feta, and various goat's cheeses and British brie.

@Elawin

Thank you for your participation. I am a big Goat Cheese Enthusiast ..

On the Greek Islands, only Goat Cheese Feta is produced and it is absolutely amazingly extraordinary. It is rarely exported. Though I had the opportunity to have some at the best Greek Restaurant I have ever been to outside of Greece, in Bucharest, Romania .. I have been there twice and the 1st thing I do is go to this tiny Greek Tavern .. It is highly exceptional if you are ever in Bucharest .. The owner is Greek ..

Most exports are Cow Milk Variety Feta ..

Have a lovely day .. Thanks again ..

@Elawin

Thank you for your participation. I am a big Goat Cheese Enthusiast ..

On the Greek Islands, only Goat Cheese Feta is produced and it is absolutely amazingly extraordinary. It is rarely exported. Though I had the opportunity to have some at the best Greek Restaurant I have ever been to outside of Greece, in Bucharest, Romania .. I have been there twice and the 1st thing I do is go to this tiny Greek Tavern .. It is highly exceptional if you are ever in Bucharest .. The owner is Greek ..

Most exports are Cow Milk Variety Feta ..

Have a lovely day .. Thanks again ..
Our local supermarket (Tesco) sell feta imported from Greece and made with sheep and goats' milk. It is really nice but, as far as I recall, does not taste the same as the feta I had in Greece - but that was made in the village where I was living, not in a factory. The only problem I have is with the saltiness of it, so I tend not to eat it too often.

Actually I forgot to add sheep and buffalo cheese to my list :laugh:

We buy imported Greek feta as well.

My neighbors at my old house were from Macedonia, and they made several cheeses that were Greek style but not just feta (a lot of Macedonian food is the same as Greek, but if you tell them that they get very angry).

I was looking for the description of a spongey cheese that they made and found this: http://www.post-gazette.com/life/fo...t-the-variety-is-endless/stories/200907160277

Our local supermarket (Tesco) sell feta imported from Greece and made with sheep and goats' milk. It is really nice but, as far as I recall, does not taste the same as the feta I had in Greece - but that was made in the village where I was living, not in a factory. The only problem I have is with the saltiness of it, so I tend not to eat it too often.

Actually I forgot to add sheep and buffalo cheese to my list :laugh:

@Elawin

The salt factor is because of the brine that it is packaged in .. No, the Feta I had in Crete quite different .. And I must add incredible ..

Yes, mozzarella di bufala ! Oh it is a fave fresh cheese ..

Thanks again ..

@buckytom

Yes, I have tasted uncountable cheeses in Greece and like the French, The Greeks are quite into their cheeses ! I am not familiar with Macedonia but we travelled throughout the Islands and the locals would milk their goats and sheep and their cheeses were to die for and go to heaven !!!

They were extremely aromatic and all fresh ..

They were not aged or cured .. Many were just goat cheese as the climate and turf on alot of the islands is not suitable for sheep or cows -- I had never seen a cow on the islands I had visited. Cow turf is Peloponnesse and north where the lands are very Green and wet in Spring, Autumn and Winter ..

The islands are very arid .. They have a wet season in the hill country but along the coasts, they are quite arid ..

Amazing regional cuisines ..

Thanks for the link !! Appreciate it ..

We buy imported Greek feta as well....
If you ever see French Feta, get it! We're able to buy it from the remarkable cheese shop that is located at Cleveland's West Side Market. I don't remember the flavor profile exactly, since we last had it at home back in January when we came back to MA after spending the holidays with the kids. If I recall correctly, it's a bit creamier and less salty in spite of its brine. It has a touch of sweetness, but NOT sweet. It's just...different. And good.

If you ever see French Feta, get it! We're able to buy it from the remarkable cheese shop that is located at Cleveland's West Side Market. I don't remember the flavor profile exactly, since we last had it at home back in January when we came back to MA after spending the holidays with the kids. If I recall correctly, it's a bit creamier and less salty in spite of its brine. It has a touch of sweetness, but NOT sweet. It's just...different. And good.

@Lynne Guinne

Shall definitely check it out the next time we travel to Marseille / Provençe .. My husband is French and he has family there.

Have a lovely day ..

We buy imported Greek feta as well.

My neighbors at my old house were from Macedonia, and they made several cheeses that were Greek style but not just feta (a lot of Macedonian food is the same as Greek, but if you tell them that they get very angry).

I was looking for the description of a spongey cheese that they made and found this: http://www.post-gazette.com/life/fo...t-the-variety-is-endless/stories/200907160277

The village where I was (nearly 50 years ago) was at the northern edge of the foothills of Mount Olympus and some of the people there were Armenian, and one family was Russian, but the food was all very similar. We used to have cheese sometimes in the village but I never did find out what type of cheese it was - from the consistency, though, it was something similar to ricotta. I would assume it was made from cows milk as the people where I stayed had their own cow.

@ Elawin,

Thank you for your participation.

Greek Ricotta has its nuances from classic Italian Ricotta, or rural country Catalan Ricotta, which is made with fresh goat´s milk ..

I have made mine during the Christmas holidays with goat milk for a tradtiional dessert we prepare ..

Greek Cow Milk Ricotta is prepared with : Whole milk, salt, whole cream and 3 tablps. of fresh squeezed lemon juice ..

Have a nice evening.
Off to have a wine and bite with my husband and 2 sons and their wives.

Back
Top Bottom