What are your favorite Cheeses ?

@ Elawin,

Thank you for your participation.

Greek Ricotta has its nuances from classic Italian Ricotta, or rural country Catalan Ricotta, which is made with fresh goat´s milk ..

I have made mine during the Christmas holidays with goat milk for a tradtiional dessert we prepare ..

Greek Cow Milk Ricotta is prepared with : Whole milk, salt, whole cream and 3 tablps. of fresh squeezed lemon juice ..

Have a nice evening.
Off to have a wine and bite with my husband and 2 sons and their wives.
I make a ricotta type cheese too from cows milk.

During the 1990s, I was involved in a Project with a now, defunct print magazine called Gourmet, The Magazine of Good Living. The Creative Director, Richard Ferretti, had published his home made fresh ricotta recipe ..

My mom has been preparing her´s since time memorial for the renowned "Dali & later El Bulli" dessert made famous, "Ricotta and Honey" dessert called "Mato e Mel" ..

The key difference is, we use fresh goat milk ..

"Gourmet". Another casualty as we march toward a possible print-free society, I suppose. I recently read former editor-in-chief Ruth Reichl's book. "My Kitchen Year", which she wrote to banish the demons from Gourmet's untimely demise. I enjoyed it very much. The book, not the demise of Gourmet. :p:

@Lynne Guinne

Unfortunately, as I subscribed to the Magazine for years. I have uncountable editions in a box in my hallway Wall to Wall wardrobe / closet.

I have not read her book yet. I will check with Bookseller´s, the oldest English Bookshop in Madrid Capital.

Have a nice day.

@Dados1950 & @morning glory

Port is extraordinarily lovely with cheese ..

It is quite common in Northern Portugal as well as Sardinia, where they produce Rose semi sweet Ports with a slight dryness .. Quite amazing if you can find at your Wine Shops.

Have a lovely day and Thanks for visiting ..

Last edited:
I should give a mention to Stinking Bishop, which is probably familiar to UK members, though anyone who saw the Wallace and Gromit film Curse of the Were-Rabbit will have at least heard the name.

It's a relatively new cheese, first made in 1994 in Gloucestershire in the south-west of England. As its name suggests, it has a very distinct smell and flavour. The smell, which is pretty fierce, comes from it being immersed in perry (pear cider). The production is fairly limited, but you'll find it at traditional cheesemongers. I remember buying some at the covered market in Oxford. I think I had a good half of the bus to myself that day...

I should give a mention to Stinking Bishop, which is probably familiar to UK members, though anyone who saw the Wallace and Gromit film Curse of the Were-Rabbit will have at least heard the name.

It's a relatively new cheese, first made in 1994 in Gloucestershire in the south-west of England. As its name suggests, it has a very distinct smell and flavour. The smell, which is pretty fierce, comes from it being immersed in perry (pear cider). The production is fairly limited, but you'll find it at traditional cheesemongers. I remember buying some at the covered market in Oxford. I think I had a good half of the bus to myself that day...

I have tried it - the smell is unforgettable, but I really can't remember what it tasted like.

@Dados1950 & @morning glory

Port is extraordinarily lovely with cheese ..

It is quite common in Northern Portugal as well as Sardinia, where they produce Rose semi sweet Ports with a slight dryness .. Quite amazing if you can find at your Wine Shops.

Have a lovely day and Thanks for visiting ..

Just a little punctuation: in Sardinia, Port wine is produced almost exclusively in the city of Alghero (because Catalan). The rest of Sardinia (and I know it very well, being of Sardinian origin) produces only Sardinian wines.
Anyway I tasted Port wine In Portugal...very good.

Just a little punctuation: in Sardinia, Port wine is produced almost exclusively in the city of Alghero (because Catalan). The rest of Sardinia (and I know it very well, being of Sardinian origin) produces only Sardinian wines.
Anyway I tasted Port wine In Portugal...very good.

@MypinchofItaly

Thank you, I had forgotten ..

I had some "Alghero Port" on my last trip to the Madrid Capital in May, during a Labor Day long weekend holidays !

At a lovely Sardinian & Regional Italian Restaurant .. Unfortunately, the Sardinian owner Ignazio had decided to return to Calgliari and closed the restaurant .. It was the best Italian Restaurant I had encountered in Spain.

Cheeses:
I like them a lot, especially the cheesy flavors a bit decided to accompany a piece of home bread, salame and, why not?!, a nice glass of wine (red).
I recently discovered the Blue Stilton, very good. Similar to our gorgonzola, and in fact I love it too. Then Taleggio, Sardinian and Roman pecorino, Fiore sardo, Parmigiano Reggiano and salty ricotta.
With mozzarella I actually have a love-hate relationship. I'm sure it is good, but the REAL mozzarella, the one in southern Italy, bought directly from the dairy or even the market, is fabulous, nothing to do with the industrial one, nor whether I buy it to the market or in a dairy here. The taste is good, but it is completely different from the ones in the South. And there is a cheese that makes me go crazy from the south: Burrata. The heart of butter inside a giant mozzarella is something fantastic.
In Lombardia region where I live, there is a great tradition of Taleggio and Gorgonzola (just wrote) ,Asiago and Robiola, made by the cows' milk that are consumed fresh, for its soft dough.
And the last are the Piedmontese Tomini, to eat simple griddled or griddled with the addition of speck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom