What are your other hobbies and interests?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
6:25 AM
When you're not cooking and eating (or washing the pots, pans and utensils ... :laugh:) what do you like to do? What else are you passionate about or interested in?

Bob

I do knitting, but to call it a passion might be stretching it! Currently, though we have a new DOG. He is not my passion either but I have to be interested to please my son. He is a Manchester Terrier puppy. The only two good things about him are that he looks beautiful (its an elegant breed) and that he sleeps through the night. Quite honestly, its worse than having a new baby (I speak from experience). I now have little time for anything else!

This summarises 2 of my 3 loves quite well...

Provence - Crillon 2015 036.JPG

...Le Velo and La Vigne.

We both keep quite busy. I love classic motorcycles [I admit some of my meals do taste a little of oil :whistling:] and I write a little. My wife is a hardcore knitter and has also started writing a novel. One of the good things about being retired is that you have time for everything.

I workout in the afternoon. I work at home so I have the time to jog and feel sweaty and refreshed at the same time. I'm trying to keep healthy and well-rounded so I read books on my spare time. It doesn't matter what kind of book it is but I especially like books on philosophy and psychology-- I feel like a better person when I read. LOL. I also love watching old films and walking my dogs. :)

When I am not cooking, baking and eating during my free time I love to read books and magazines that are educational and which makes my mind buzzing!! At the same time I also love to write where I can express my happiness and loneliness in life...And once a week I do my Zumba Dancing which really makes me perspire sweating it out all my stresses in life..Sometimes during weekends me and my husband go hiking one of our favorite bonding time together.

We both keep quite busy. I love classic motorcycles [I admit some of my meals do taste a little of oil :whistling:] and I write a little. My wife is a hardcore knitter and has also started writing a novel. One of the good things about being retired is that you have time for everything.
Until you get a DOG!

I used to bike but not a lot, just a hobbyist. Sometimes I go with the pack on road cycling that takes me to the next town that's about 10 kilometers away. But when I developed a swelling of my leg muscle, I quit biking for now. My other enjoyment in life is gardening. We have some vegetables but what I like are the fruits. Right now we have fruiting dragon fruit vine and star fruit that is planted in a big rubber pot. Our wild guava in the frontyard is also fruiting but the ripe guavas are always eaten by bats.

I love to tend my small garden and see some green things growing in there. It amazes me to be able to grow some of the ingredients that I use in my kitchen. I also love doing some crafts and turning something useless into something useful

I love camping and spending time outdoors. I am sad to see camping season coming to an end because it is something I do every weekend all summer long. I love hiking and just spending time enjoying nature and all that it has to offer.

I take beer research seriously. There are thousands of independent breweries, so even the most determined researcher cannot explore every possibility, but I do my best. I find research more comfortable when watching a Serie A or Bundesliga game or a BBC4 documentary.

Other than that, birdwatching, walking (not as much now due to duff right foot), travelling (32 European countries thus far - just 19 to go) and reading (19th-century literature a speciality). I write as well - my first book was published this year and my first novel is out in January.

That lot is more than enough to keep me occupied. The money's rubbish, but the hours are good (not so different from being a student).

I take beer research seriously. There are thousands of independent breweries, so even the most determined researcher cannot explore every possibility, but I do my best. I find research more comfortable when watching a Serie A or Bundesliga game or a BBC4 documentary.

Other than that, birdwatching, walking (not as much now due to duff right foot), travelling (32 European countries thus far - just 19 to go) and reading (19th-century literature a speciality). I write as well - my first book was published this year and my first novel is out in January.

That lot is more than enough to keep me occupied. The money's rubbish, but the hours are good (not so different from being a student).

Wow! What kind of books? And what type of novel?

Wow! What kind of books? And what type of novel?

The book I had published in March is factual; it's about my two years in Eritrea when I was a VSO volunteer. I've seen the cover for my novel and the publisher has put "Fiction/Humorous" on it. The fiction part is unquestionably true, but the rest is probably subjective. It's set in Edinburgh and the anti-hero (they are a lot easier to create than heroes) is based on a boss I used to have. Try imagining a combination of Walter Mitty, Captain Mainwaring and David Brent and you'll get somewhere near.

The book I had published in March is factual; it's about my two years in Eritrea when I was a VSO volunteer. I've seen the cover for my novel and the publisher has put "Fiction/Humorous" on it. The fiction part is unquestionably true, but the rest is probably subjective. It's set in Edinburgh and the anti-hero (they are a lot easier to create than heroes) is based on a boss I used to have. Try imagining a combination of Walter Mitty, Captain Mainwaring and David Brent and you'll get somewhere near.

I'm so impressed! The activities of some people on this forum are making me feel distinctly lazy.

We both work full time which doesn't give us a huge amount of time, however I do like my garden and house plants- I have 18 orchids, a tangerine tree and a blue jacaranda which I am looking to bonsai. I am trying to get back into running again and we are looking to start swimming again next week. Our local baths only do 2 adults only evenings, Monday and Friday 8-10pm.

Back
Top Bottom