What Are Your Pantry Staples?

lenachristine

Veteran
Local time
6:53 PM
Which herbs and spices do you consider pantry staples? You know, the ones you always makes sure you have on hand. I have several I like to keep around, but sometimes prices prevent me from keep a consistent stock. Cumin, for example, is outrageously expensive where I live. I love having it in the pantry to grab because it can be used in so many ways but I often have to forgo buying any when I've ran out in favor of purchasing other needed items.

Cayenne pepper, mints, honey, sea salt, oregano, basil, the list can go on and on. I rotate around with my pantry supply so that I don't get too locked into cooking the same way.

my list of herbs & spices is that long I could not attempt to list them all. Suffice to say it is well over 50 mostly spices because I also grow a lot of my own herbs to have fresh. there is also a whole load of fresh herbs in the freezer as well.

my spice cupboard... top shelf if herbs & things like poppy seeds, mustard powder and various 'pastes' plus the tamarind seeds, bottom shelf is solely spices.

IMG_0546.JPG

I always have ginger, cinnamon, chilli, ground paprika pepper, corianda and cumin. I grow my own chives and mint. I don't keep any dried herbs but I always have fresh garlic ready for use. I also pick wild fennel leaves, flowers and seeds, depending on the season.

Going by what I currently have, chili powder, sea salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, and red pepper. I'm probably out of a few things, but I'm going on vacation, so those won't be replenished for at least a week.

Back
Top Bottom