What did i just eat?

oddduck

Über Member
Local time
10:15 PM
I was at aldis tonight and kinda bummed i didn't bake my gingerbread cake this year so i saw this little pack of cookies called Oblatenlekuchen glasiert and schokoliert....the shelf said iced soft gingerbread cookies. I thought thats a nice size...6 cookies...just for me. So i have now taken a bite and what the heck is on the bottom of these cookies...i thought it was thick glaze but it tastes like paper...i peel it off...it peels like paper...but now with a magnifying glass i am reading in english "iced and chocolate covered gingerbread on wafer. What the heck is this paper tasting wafer and why include it on cookies?

There are edible papers that are flavored from what I understand. I've seen them used on baking shows.

There are edible papers that are flavored from what I understand. I've seen them used on baking shows.
@medtran49
This is certainly a "new one" on me! I've tried to become tolerant of the trend towards use of ingredients seemingly unnecessary in foods. Cottage cheese, for example is white by nature; I find the maker adds artificial blue coloring! Another thorn is the use of a variety of "gums", as well as "microcrystalline cellulose", which is actually wood pulp!

Oblaten-Lebkuchen are Lebkuchen on wafers - its the traditional way to make them. Probably because good Lebkuchen are fairly soft (they're more of a cake than a biscuit) so it helps them stay rigid and makes a seal with the icing/glaze and stops them going stale. Also, from a practical point of view, possibly the bottom would burn/get tough if they were baked without the wafer because you'd have to bake them longer to be able to handle them.

Back
Top Bottom