What did you cook, eat or drink today (August 2018)?

Lunch isn't a very important meal to me. Usually a sandwich and some fruit is enough. But as I was given two stuffed mushrooms late last night - filled with couscous, onion, possibly sage - and topped with grated Emmenthal - I thought I'd try a bit harder today. Accompanied by some home-made cornbread, tomatoes with a little sprinkling of dried basil and a good crack of the black, and a wedge of a Pyrenéean tomme.

lunch 18082018.JPG

Interesting... I've heard of cauliflower 'rice' and 'couscous' but not flatbread.
I've done the 'rice' and 'couscous' and we really liked those. I also made an unsuccessful pizza base which was soggy in the middle so need to try that again. This recipe came up on a facebook feed from 'recipe girl'

IMG_0562a.jpg

Sunday lunch was an epic success. Shoulder of pork from an outdoor reared Gloucester Old Spot, went in the oven at seven o'clock in the morning for a six hour slow cook. No carving knife required - a fork and spoon sufficed. It was cooked on a trivet of onion, celery, carrot, apples, fresh herbs and bay leaves and a bottle of cider, resulting in a fantastic gravy. The skin was removed towards the end, doused in salt and blasted in a hot oven to make really crunchy crackling. On the side was mashed potato, fennel gratin, broccoli, buttered leeks, white onion sauce and stuffing balls made with loads of fresh herbs from the garden. Better still there was enough left over for another meal tonight!

View attachment 18605
Sunday lunch was an epic success. Shoulder of pork from an outdoor reared Gloucester Old Spot, went in the oven at seven o'clock in the morning for a six hour slow cook. No carving knife required - a fork and spoon sufficed. It was cooked on a trivet of onion, celery, carrot, apples, fresh herbs and bay leaves and a bottle of cider, resulting in a fantastic gravy. The skin was removed towards the end, doused in salt and blasted in a hot oven to make really crunchy crackling. On the side was mashed potato, fennel gratin, broccoli, buttered leeks, white onion sauce and stuffing balls made with loads of fresh herbs from the garden. Better still there was enough left over for another meal tonight!

That looks truly fabulous.

Stir fry pork and vegetables with honey and rice noodles.

Because we had friends over for the weekend the left overs of the pork didn't get re-addressed until today. Strangely it had lost all it's taste during the few days in the fridge. Not a whiff of honey or garlic or ginger. I ate it but it was a bit plain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom