What did you cook, eat or drink today (August 2018)?

Just back from Sardinia, I could not take away with me a specialty of the south of the Island - Su Mustazzeddu. It is a sort of pizza - dough with durum wheat flour and semolina's flour, stuffed with cherry tomatoes and basil.
Mustazzeddu.jpg

IMG_1673.JPG

Here's my Gnocchi Banderia Italia with all elements mixed together. This is sort of a Happy Family, Italian-Style, topped with freshly-grated parmesano reggiano, and mixed with melted butter. I wasn't sure how it would play together, but it was a lot of fun to eat:
  • The spinach gnocchi was served with peas, but the gnocchi worked well with the oven dried tomatoes I prepared for the pepper gnocchi.
  • The red pepper gnocchi tasted great when eaten with the peas.
  • The garlic (white) gnocchi was served with mushrooms; the mushrooms work with anything, and the garlic gnocchi worked well with the peas and the tomatoes.
  • I also tried mixing them together so I got a bite of everything on the fork. This was a bit busy (not to mention hard to arrange), but it worked well, too

I usually don't look at my food while I'm eating it, but this made for a fun reason to break with that. But, it was just as fun being surprised with every bite. This took me an insane amount of time to prepare, but I have to say that it was actually time well-spent.

Last edited:
I sliced up some sashimi tonight while my wife made shrimp tempura and short grain rice, and we nuked some store-made japchae.

Salmon and chu-toro (belly tuna)

0829181742.jpg

Kansai style kabayaki (eel)

0829181744.jpg

Shrimp tempura

0829181742a.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the japchae.

Thank you.

My jumping off point was

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cleansing-ginger-chicken-soup

I always add 8 peeled whole cloves of garlic when I make this.

I strained it then broken the chicken up into dark meat & light.

I had just over 6L of stock - I froze 2L.

Then I divided the remainder. I put all the leg & thigh meat into one half and froze that.

Then I added diced carrot & celery plus some extra shredded ginger to the pot. Once they were softened I threw in (bought) frozen pork dumplings & added in the breast meat at the end with a load of spring onion. Chilli dipping sauce on the side.

I’m still not quite over this damn virus but I’m back to normal diet wise and not quite so miserable.

Tonight I made a fried rice dish - we had a bunch of leftover meats in the fridge including a chunk of roast pork - and we have the freshest eggs right now so there was a fried egg on top.

If they were the only potatoes left on the planet, I wouldn't buy them

We've had some in our hurricane pantry box from time to time over the years before we bought the generator. I don't remember what I did with them, but they were edible.

Dinner tonight was a small plates meal.

Spicy cured, honey/sherry glazed pork belly bites.

Spanish potato, onion, egg tort with garlic mayo.

Roasted red and yellow bell peppers plus red onion slices and garlic with olive oil, s and p, and then a touch of sherry vinegar after they were cooked.

Figs stuffed with Papillon bleu, wrapped with bacon, with a salted caramel drizzle.

2018-08-30 19.34.43.jpg

Back
Top Bottom