What did you cook, eat or drink today (August 2018)?

Yesterday had some boned and rolled lamb breast, mint sauce, couple of spuds, corn on the cob and peas.

And made this, Iced Gingerbread. Got it just right I think, the cake is lovely and moist, but if I had to be critical I think the icing was a bit runny, it seems to go from 'nearly there' to 'oops' in a few drops of water. Quite pleased with this as cakes etc. are not my forte, I tend to be heavy handed. I'm determined to keep trying until I get cakes, desserts etc. right.
DSC_0286.jpg
DSC_0288.jpg

You're getting the hang of the side view photos. How did you create the 'all green' background?

It's a light green sheet of A4 paper. I use them a lot. Sit the subject on the sheet and curl the other half up a wall. It's better than pure white. It's dark here now; I'll try and show it better tomorrow.

It's a light green sheet of A4 paper. I use them a lot. Sit the subject on the sheet and curl the other half up a wall. It's better than pure white. It's dark here now; I'll try and show it better tomorrow.

Idea now stashed in my head for using in future. Thanks!

View attachment 18120
Lunch out. A fusion of Japanese, Cantonese and Vietnamese, the centerpiece was this lovely chicken with pineapple.

My wife bought three small pineapples from the market last evening. Unfortunately the seller prepared them. I was looking forward to pineapple chicken rice served in the husk. Oh well, maybe next time.

Pazole Roja. Tried a new recipe. Actually this is the first time I've made a red version.

Looks fabulous - but rather difficult to eat? What was the restaurant?
Eating rice with chop sticks is always a bit time consuming. Funnily enough, a couple of hours earlier I had sat through a Chinese Tourism Board video celebrating their position as world leaders in innovation and manufacturing. Here I was, eating my meal using two sharpened sticks...

What was the restaurant?
Chamber 36 on Berry Street. Chosen primarily because it was the first place we came to after a long hot trek up to the cathedral that promised a nice cooling gin & tonic. The gin list was more extensive than the wine list (this didn't endear me to the place at all), and a never before heard of Japanese gin "Ki No Bi" was chosen. I was in even more need of a stiff drink when the bill arrived - £16 for two large G&T's! By contrast, the food was very good value - £27 for two, including a glass of wine each.

Back
Top Bottom