What did you cook, eat or drink today (December 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to "what-did-you-cook-eat-or-drink-today-november-2018" the chicken rice stall was closed today so I decided on the CP shrimp wonton. Threw a few spring onions and loadsa black pepper at it. Works well after a skinfull of beer.

View attachment 21080

View attachment 21081

Love that CP wonton soup. I wanted to mention, I did find a place that sells the soup, but the price went up to $3.50. Seems a little pricey to me, but maybe I can add some Ramen noodles and stretch it out. Yours looks delicious.

Earlier this week I made two dishes from Food Network magazine, both from their "week night" suggestions. They were horrible, never to be made again. I could probably doctor one of them by making a different sauce and using homemade ravioli instead of store bought, flavorless, sausage tortellini.

Love that CP wonton soup. I wanted to mention, I did find a place that sells the soup, but the price went up to $3.50. Seems a little pricey to me, but maybe I can add some Ramen noodles and stretch it out. Yours looks delicious.

Those were Bht 67.00 each (145 gm) but on special offer, buy two get three. That's around US$ 2.00.

Those were Bht 67.00 each (145 gm) but on special offer, buy two get three. That's around US$ 2.00.

I'm jealous. Lol. As I recall, they used to be about $0.99 each. I wanted to buy several and keep them in the freezer to have around. The shrimp are so sweet and delicious.

Just got back from a short break in Canterbury - Wednesday night's dinner in Chapman's fish restaurant: oysters followed by Lobster Thermidor:

fullsizeoutput_3e6e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3e70.jpeg

No photo, no suitable device at the moment (in on the backup smartphone that was smart 7 or 8 years ago, now is barely functional) but lunch was at one of the Vietnamese vegan restaurants in Canberra . Curried puffs for starter and the farmers hotpot for main which includes bamboo shots, lily flowers and buds plus a variety of different soy meats (chicken, beef, pork, and a few I've yet to identify. All are tofu or soy protein of one form or another and surprisingly good and varied in their textures ).
Hubby had Sang Choy Bao and for main, Lemongrass chicken (soy chicken slowly caramelised with Lemongrass and chilli flakes.

A screenshot of part of their menu showing one of the hotspots . I've tried the aubergine hotpot and is very good .
_20181208_144728.JPG

We ended up getting takeout tonight from a Thai/Japanese place. Craig got Thai special fried rice and Massaman chicken curry. I got an appy chicken satay and a vege sushi roll.

Stuffed jacket potatoes (again) with a little grass.

December 10 s.jpg

Note for @morning glory - charred in the halogen (a little more than intended but not too much so).

For lunch today we had a Cornish Pasty each from Waitrose and it was the best I have ever had, good pastry, plenty of tasty filling and chunks of meat. Other pasties I have tried have been mushy inside or very peppery, but not these :hungry:

That looks good. I've cooked steak sous vide but not a whole piece of beef.
Me neither..this cut is typically not ideal for a roast, as it is very lean and can produce a dry result..but, I am curious as to what the sous vide process will accomplish...I am going to do a typical Sunday beef dinner with it..unfortunately, the sous vide doesn't really lend well to gravy making, so I will have to make a version using beef stock...oh, the suffering we must endure...

Me neither..this cut is typically not ideal for a roast, as it is very lean and can produce a dry result..but, I am curious as to what the sous vide process will accomplish...I am going to do a typical Sunday beef dinner with it..unfortunately, the sous vide doesn't really lend well to gravy making, so I will have to make a version using beef stock...oh, the suffering we must endure...
I share your pain! I have got into the habit of cooking most Sunday roasts sous vide. It is so much easier and the results are far more predictable than using the oven. On the odd occasion I do oven roast a joint I make extra gravy with the juices, then vac pack and freeze what's left over. The bag of gravy then gets dumped into the hot water bath to re-heat when the meat comes out for searing and resting.

I would be interested in the time/temp you use for the round - not a joint I have cooked before. I have a single rib joint for tomorrow that will be going in for 7 hours @ 135 deg F (57 deg C).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom