What did you cook, eat or drink today (November 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the portobellinis are called criminis here; tasty little fun guys.

I believe the portobellinis are called criminis here; tasty little fun guys.

Yes - as the Kitchn says:

Did you know that most of the table mushrooms we eat are all of the same variety? Its name is Agaricus bisporus, according to Wikipedia, and it includes portobello, cremini, and white button mushrooms.

'Paris mushrooms' are also the same variety.

Having said that a lot of images of cremini look tighter (more closed) than the portobellinis I get, which are flatter with very visible gills. Its probably a question of age.

The creminis in the photo in the link are what are sold here as 'chestnut mushrooms'.

Yes, a really fresh crimini should have a bit of skin over the gills. I've only seen that a few times, though.

A really young, super-fresh mushroom will have a thin skin covering the gills. I believe it is called the veil.

How did the old boy get such a nice but oddly light looking sear on the tuna? It doesn't appear to have grill marks.

What else was in the glaze?

Recipes for the lot, while we're at it, please. :cook:
Dang I hate this "fall back", my internal alarm clock will take some time to adjust.:ninja:

The glaze was equal parts Tamari and sugar, low simmer to melt the sugar and a little longer to coat the back of a spoon. The tuna got a sprinkling of S&P then seared in a skillet with a small amount of peanut oil. Next time I might add some sesame oil. I'll have to wait until Karen gets up for the carrots, as the recipe is on her tablet. The potatoes were done as I would normally for mashed potatoes, 3 medium size Russets and I added 2 Tbsp of Wasabi paste. I'm definitely making those spuds again!:thumbsup:

I've never heard of these, but they look great. I'm sure there are many "local" dishes I've never heard of or eaten. I'm sure it originated as a "this is what I have on hand" way to use up ingredients. Recipe please!:thumbsup:

Right, the origins of this dish are from subsistence and from "what I have on hand" too.
I will post the recipe soon

Dang I hate this "fall back", my internal alarm clock will take some time to adjust.:ninja:

The glaze was equal parts Tamari and sugar, low simmer to melt the sugar and a little longer to coat the back of a spoon. The tuna got a sprinkling of S&P then seared in a skillet with a small amount of peanut oil. Next time I might add some sesame oil. I'll have to wait until Karen gets up for the carrots, as the recipe is on her tablet. The potatoes were done as I would normally for mashed potatoes, 3 medium size Russets and I added 2 Tbsp of Wasabi paste. I'm definitely making those spuds again!:thumbsup:

Gracias.

I've been up all night setting and checking system clocks. TV not only has to be on time, but frame accurate (to 1/30th of a second).
I absolutely hate stupid DST.

Last edited:
IMG_0877a.jpg

Sunday breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom