What did you cook/eat today (August 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cheddar smoked sausages and onions are happily grilling. Mashed potatoes, gravy and black Eyed Peas are waiting for their turn in the microwave. Cooked and previously frozen.

It was a balmy 77 degrees (25 C) here today...in our air-conditioned house! This week, though, it's more of a "it's not the heat, it's the humidity" factor. I still won't run our big oven when the A/C is going, though, if I can help it.

Today was a crazy, mixed-up day. I thought I had a haircut appointment, so I had planned ham, slow-braised cabbage, and buttered noodles. When I found out I was 24 hours early for my haircut :oops: I figured I'd go ahead and make what was scheduled for Thursday: fried fish, homemade potato salad, and homemade coleslaw. I got busy making the slaw and salad. Just when I was ready to head to the grocery store to shop (they will fry your fish fresh for you while you shop) a long, low rumble of thunder and dark clouds bore down on the neighborhood. The last thing I like to do is schlep grocery bags to the car in a pouring rain, so I went back to making ham, etc. The positive part of this story? Dinner for tomorrow is 2/3 done, and the grocery store will still fry the fish! Our supper, which included a simple salad. That's a sprinkling of Dukkah on the buttered noodles.

20170802_223752.jpg

Today was a crazy, mixed-up day. I thought I had a haircut appointment, so I had planned ham, slow-braised cabbage, and buttered noodles. When I found out I was 24 hours early for my haircut....

You were lucky it wasn't Wednesday - it's unlucky to have your haircut on a Wednesday. Or is it still Wednesday where you are?

Oh, and just in case, it's also unlucky to be cremated on a Thursday.

No longer Wednesday here, @Yorky. It just rolled over to 3:00 AM Thursday. Is it really unlucky to get a Wednesday haircut? I might have dodged a bullet, since I'm rather picky with how mine turn out. Fortunately, my current stylist is a gem.

And I would think ANY day getting cremated is unlucky. Especially if you aren't dead! :eek:

I've never tried microwaving it...

I only remember making meringue for a baked Alaska years ago (at my parents so probably 30-ish years ago). Microwaving really is an easy way to make them. Husband has requested I buy cream and fruit today so we can have an Eton mess style pud for supper. It really is a cheap and easy way to make a desert (making the fruit and cream go a long way). I'll remember this for the next family party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom