What did you cook/eat today (December 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a recipe? I didn't spot it. I've never tried to make them - I think I recall @ElizabethB mentioning she had made them.

I just took @Rocklobster 's idea and adapted it to suit what I had available. I trimmed the potatoes roughly to the shape of his (saving the trimmings to add to the sausage and mash tomorrow), fried both ends in olive oil in a large saucepan, then added stock (OXO), butter, pureed garlic and dried sage and simmered them for 40 minutes.

Last edited:
I just took @Rocklobster 's idea and adapted it to suit what I had available. I trimmed the potatoes roughly to the shape of his (saving the trimmings to add to the sausage and mash tomorrow), fried both ends in olive oil in a large saucepan, then added stock (OXO), butter and dried sage and simmered them for 40 minutes.
They look great! How did you like them?

This evening my husband made: veal osso bucco with a saffron risotto

P_20171203_174123.jpg

My Honey stays out of the kitchen most of the time - except for his breakfast. He has this thing for over cooked scrambled eggs with spinach, mushrooms and either bacon or sausage. :sick: I like my scrambled eggs light and fluffy - barely cooked, with maybe a pinch of fresh herb.

He does occasionally get a wild hair and decide to cook something in his Big Easy oil less fryer (an infrared LPG cooker) or he makes "camp food" - a one pot stew usually with venison. Yesterday morning he was in his shop rooting around in the freezer. He came back in with a venison neck roast. He browned it the cast iron Dutch oven, added lots of veggies, carrots, turnips, potato, celery, onion garlic, jalapeno. He had to cook it for HOURS for the meat to get tender. It must have been from an older buck rather than a doe. It was late before the meat was tender enough to eat. I must say he did a great job. Very tasty, filling and warm your tummy good.

@Lullabelle

I :love: Osso Bucco! Unfortunately veal shank is expensive. $15 per lb. bone in. :hyper: The veal version is for special occasions. I "cheat" and make Osso Bucco with pork shank - About $1.70 per lb. bone in. There is a lot more fat and skin but at that price - who cares? What can I say about Risotto? A gift from God. Since G's carb intake is very limited I make small batches - 1/2 cup. Saffron - beautiful color and that lovely, subtle flavor. I also make a wild mushroom risotto. The grandchildren went crazy over it. The irony is that they refuse to eat mushrooms! Go figure.

You can get children and frequently adults, to eat anything if it is presented properly - and you do not tell them what the ingredients are.

@Lullabelle

I :love: Osso Bucco! Unfortunately veal shank is expensive. $15 per lb. bone in. :hyper: The veal version is for special occasions. I "cheat" and make Osso Bucco with pork shank - About $1.70 per lb. bone in. There is a lot more fat and skin but at that price - who cares? What can I say about Risotto? A gift from God. Since G's carb intake is very limited I make small batches - 1/2 cup. Saffron - beautiful color and that lovely, subtle flavor. I also make a wild mushroom risotto. The grandchildren went crazy over it. The irony is that they refuse to eat mushrooms! Go figure.

You can get children and frequently adults, to eat anything if it is presented properly - and you do not tell them what the ingredients are.

@ElizabethB

Mushroom Risotto, and especially with wild Boletus is a jewel ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom