What did you cook/eat today (December 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh bravo...so good ossobuco with saffron risotto...that's the typical combo dish of Milano.. one of my faves.
Today was the first time I have tried it, and I'm happy with the result. I have not tried a risotto as the carbohydrate element in a meat dish before and it worked very well, if adding rather a lot of calories to the plate :oops:

Today was the first time I have tried it, and I'm happy with the result. I have not tried a risotto as the carbohydrate element in a meat dish before and it worked very well, if adding rather a lot of calories to the plate :oops:

First time you did it? Congrats, it looks very delicious! Yes it's a strong dish (a carbohydrate party) but every now and then you can do it...+ maybe a little running after :happy:..

@Lullabelle
I also make a wild mushroom risotto. The grandchildren went crazy over it. The irony is that they refuse to eat mushrooms! Go figure.

You can get children and frequently adults, to eat anything if it is presented properly - and you do not tell them what the ingredients are.

I love this.

I made Dan Dan Noodles yesterday and I frequently make San Choy Boa or other stir fried dishes and my kids just eat them. SCB is full of cabbage which neither likes, and I add finely diced mushrooms and capsicum - basically these are my "cleaning out the crisper" meals ahead of shopping day and they love them.

F748E927-5C4B-4BFD-9AD2-229723BA7E89.jpeg

Dan Dan Noodles

We love the combination of honey & pepper on the beef in this dish.

Last edited:
I love this.

I made Dan Dan Noodles yesterday and I frequently make San Choy Boa or other stir fried dishes and my kids just eat them. SCB is full of cabbage which neither likes, and I add finely diced mushrooms and capsicum - basically these are my "cleaning out the crisper" meals ahead of shopping day and they love them.
What recipe do you use for your sauce/oil base?

IMG_1003.JPG

Strawberry Gelato.

I went to the local fruit and vegetable market, and I saw this ridiculously cheap pallet of strawberries: 8 pounds for $2:

IMG_1001.JPG

It's obviously the end of the season, and a lot of them were bad. But, after throwing out the bad ones, I still ended up with about 6 pounds of strawberries. So, what to do with all those strawberries?

IMG_1002.JPG

I couldn't get it in the picture, but I also wore a red apron. You know...for consistency.

The next day, I want back to the same market, expecting that they wouldn't have any of these strawberries left. They had the regular $1.99/pound strawberries (which is still not a bad price), but just as I was about to leave, I noticed a few more of these cases of strawberries, so I bought another. This one was half bad, but at 50 cents a pound, that's still amazingly cheap. So, what does that mean? More gelato, of course!

Last edited:
Oh bravo...so good ossobuco with saffron risotto...that's the typical combo dish of Milano.. one of my faves.
I always thought that risotto should be served as a dish on its own and that it was us who broke the rules (particularly if it means a mixture of two sauces) so its fascinating to know that this dish is typical in Milan.

I always thought that risotto should be served as a dish on its own and that it was us who broke the rules (particularly if it means a mixture of two sauces) so its fascinating to know that this dish is typical in Milan.

Yes it is..a bit strange for us who always have "separated dishes". First dish: pasta or rice, second dish: meat or fish...but incredibly saffron risotto and ossobuco could be served as unique dish. Nowadays people prefer to eat risotto and then (maybe then) ossobuco or viceversa, but if you go to eat to a typical milanese restaurant or to a typical restaurant in Brianza as well, Risotto+ossobuco has served together.
Honestly I prefer to eat them separately and I like ossobuco served with polenta..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom