What did you cook/eat today (December 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday in Saffron Walden - brunch cooked for my friend. Bacon with egg on toast sprinkled with mushroom dust:

20171201_142549.jpg

IMG_1006.JPG

A Spam Gyro on Not-So-Sourdough Bread.
My first attempt to photograph this looked horrifying; this is somewhat better. The Spam approximates the texture of Greek-style lamb, and the spices I add make it close enough to the real thing that you might not immediately guess you're eating an impostor. There's considerably more (homemade) tzatziki sauce than this picture let on (which is why the first one looked so horrible). Fortunately, looks are deceiving. It was delicious.

Looks scrumptious! And I'm very intrigued with mushroom dust! How did you do it?
Dry out some ready dried mushrooms for a few mins in the microwave. Blitz in a spice grinder.

The long way round is to dry fresh mushrooms yourself - but shop bought are excellent quality.

We had fish pie today. As I can't have dairy I used to use oat cream (occasionally soy cream but I found the oat one tasted better in a savoury dish), but I can't use those now because my husband can't have gluten. So I tried a coconut cream which has a milk coconut taste so the pie ended up tasting a little 'thai'. It was very nice though.

IMG_1008.JPG

Brussel sprouts. I steamed them, then pan fried them in oil with rosemary, thyme, salt, and cumin. I finished them off by patting the grease off with a paper towel and then tossing them in balsamic vinegar. This is basically a rip off of what Michael Symon serves at his high-end steakhouse, Roast. Despite the oil, this comes across as being fairly light. And, very tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom