What did you cook/eat today (February 2018)?

Finger food!
IMG-20180220-WA0002.jpg

So are they made from mashed potato in batter? I've never come across them before.

No. We have a boxed frozen commercially made product called “pommes noisette” which are teaspoon sized balls of mash which are breaded & deepfried then frozen and become crunchy in the oven.

Tots/gems are more like bite sized hash browns.

We don’t eat much in the way of commercially made/processed foods here but gems are really good with steak for dinner or with bacon & eggs for brekky.

My CBF winner dinner is potato gems. No one complains as it’s such a rare treat.

I posted a recipe for Tater Tots not long ago. This is the same thing, except the form the pros used is much neater, and they didn’t add cheese like I did to mine.

I'm not sure whether you were referring to the recipe link I posted or not, but mine actually does use cheese, parm. Also, I've found with making gnocchi at least that baking the potatoes (instead of boiling or steaming) makes them drier and you don't need to use as much flour to hold them together, which makes for a lighter end product. In fact, some of the best gnocchi I've ever made was from potatoes baked on a salt bed, which drew out even more liquid, but that wasted a whole lot of salt.

We had chicken and yellow rice (a Cuban dish) last night, but I made it the easy way with a pre-spiced bag of rice. I like it made from scratch, but I have to admit I like the quickie way the best.

Back
Top Bottom